Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine suggestions >

machine suggestions

machine suggestions

Old 01-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Hi all, I am new to quilting and have an old (well maintained) Kenmore machine. It has NO frills and I would like to get a new machine that would serve me well to make quilts/runners/etc (I don't sew except for quilts). If you have any suggestions I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks much, Kim
Old 01-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

How much were you thinking of spending?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:49 PM

I was thinking if I bought something soon I would spend a few hundred dollars. I mean my dream would be to have something that allowed me to quilt a queen size quilt in a manageable way but don't you need a long arm quilter to do that? I want some basics conveniences...needle threader, thread cutter, whatever options that make the sewing go smoother...any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:55 PM

A couple of years ago I bought myself a Janome 6600. I am now a dedicated Janome owner, but did a fair bit of shopping before I bought. One thing I did was to make a bunch of quilt sandwiches about 8" square and take them with me when I shopped. That way I could try out the machines. Here are a few reasons I ended up with a Janome:
- they were very popular all my home ec teacher friends which makes me think they are durable and easy to use
- the space between the machine body and needle was the largest at the time I bought - more room for shoving quilts through
- mine has an accufeed (top feed dogs) that are removable so I have more control
- all the features I had decided were must haves - needle up/down, lock stitch, needle thread cutter
- number one reason - the shop where I bought has a serviceman who loves his machines and knows them like his children; the service there is fabulous

If you do a search here for "sewing machine", you will find several threads where people have asked this exact question. The answers are as varied as the people, but you might find some advice that resonates. I think the main thing is to buy from a place where the service is good.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

I just bought my daughter a Janome Mangnolia 7330. I think it was 500.00 from a local quilt shop w/all the extra feet. I wanted her to get it from there because she is in NY and I'm in GA and wanted her to have all the help that comes with it/warranty/repair/service,etc.
However, you dont' need to spend this much either, as it has extras that you don't have to have.
However, I have a Janome Quilter's Companion Memory Craft 4800 from 2003 and have really enjoyed it. I paid 900.00 for it way back then. Again, you don't need all of this.
Like I say, I got both of ours from local establishments. Just take your time deciding.
(most name brands have basic models. I got my daughter a step up because I knew she'd grow into it. You can begin with a good basic machine and then get another w/all the stitches,etc later on...)I've found that Janome is just as good as other top names w/out the price.... Good luck. Sandra
Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltykim
I was thinking if I bought something soon I would spend a few hundred dollars. I mean my dream would be to have something that allowed me to quilt a queen size quilt in a manageable way but don't you need a long arm quilter to do that? I want some basics conveniences...needle threader, thread cutter, whatever options that make the sewing go smoother...any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
I've quilted a queen w/my reg. machine, but you do need the walking foot attachment and practice before attempting a queen. I would recommend the walking foot attachment and a few other extra feet with whatever you buy. They are just basic feet that you change out. No biggy. You will like a "newer" machine where you have a quick release to push a button and change your feet out. Also, the needle threader and needle cutter are great. Just take your time shopping around. Have fun!XO Sandra
Old 01-08-2010, 08:27 PM

Thank you so much for the tips! I'm going to take some time and look for all the points you mentioned. It will really be something to look forward to! Kim
Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Thanks so much for your suggestions. It will be lots of fun looking at all of the options!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltykim
Thank you so much for the tips! I'm going to take some time and look for all the points you mentioned. It will really be something to look forward to! Kim
Great tips.