Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Machine? >

Which Machine?

Which Machine?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:03 AM

My DH tells me I can spend up to $3100. on a new quilting machine and frame. I have looked at the Juki 98Q with the Grace pro and lots of extras for $2747. and also at the Babylock quilters choice pro with a pinnacale Frame for $2860. Can you all tell me which you think is better and why and if these two prices are good or not. The Juki comes with GMQ Pro, Juki TL-98Q, Pro SK, Pro Bundle, Lamp & Bulb, Plastic Pattern Perfect, SureStitch 10 Bobbins, Ultimate Guide Book, Laser Stylus, Practice Quilt, Quilt CAD, Skillbuilder 1&2 Combo with booklet #772
The Babylock only comes with the stitch regulator.

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions or advice you all could give.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

Are you planning to use the machine ONLY on the frame?

If so, I would probably opt for the Juki. I have the Pfaff 1200 Grandquilter which is very much like the Juki. It is a straight stitch machine which only goes forward and backward - but it does so very fast. It has a nice throat size and is made for quilting. There is a cruise control available that is like the stitch regulator.

The Babylock (I have an Espire) is more of a regular sewing machine with lots of features including quilting features and I would be tempted to use it for all my other sewing needs as well.

Once you put the machine on the frame, you'll probably leave it on the machine (except for maintenance).

That's my 2 cents worth. Either way - I don't think you'll go wrong.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Are you planning to use the machine ONLY on the frame?

If so, I would probably opt for the Juki. I have the Pfaff 1200 Grandquilter which is very much like the Juki. It is a straight stitch machine which only goes forward and backward - but it does so very fast. It has a nice throat size and is made for quilting. There is a cruise control available that is like the stitch regulator.

The Babylock (I have an Espire) is more of a regular sewing machine with lots of features including quilting features and I would be tempted to use it for all my other sewing needs as well.

Once you put the machine on the frame, you'll probably leave it on the machine (except for maintenance).

That's my 2 cents worth. Either way - I don't think you'll go wrong.
I was told that it is a bit of a hassle to take the machine on and off of the frame and I have a singer that I piece with ( and I have 13 tops that need quilting) so I would probably leave it on.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

Make sure you test drive.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:42 AM

I don't know of a local dealer for the Juki but the Baby Lock is from a LQS
Old 09-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

You might want to join the homequiltingsystems group at http://groups.yahoo.com and ask there. It is a very active group of midarm/longarm quilters and you are sure to get feedback from people with both types of setups.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

There are a lot of machines like the Juki. Pfaff Grandquilter being one. There is also a Brother (sorry - don't know the number) and a Viking. They are practically the same machine - but I think the Juki has better reviews. If you test drive one of the others, you can still get the feel for it.

Oh, that reminds me. Have you checked patternreview.com? You can sign up for free and there are many sewing machine reviews by members.

What I do not like about the Pfaff is that it is a bit loud (it is a mechanical machine) and it needs A LOT of oil. It does not drop the feed dogs but has a cover plate. Not sure if the Juki is identical - but I wouldn't be surprised.

As for the Babylock, I'd also check the reviews. For me, I'd hate to put "that much machine" strictly on a frame. But that's just me.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:12 AM

I have the Brother Nouvelle PQ1500s and just love it. Basically the same machine as the Juki and Pfaff.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:24 AM

I have a Juki on a frame and love it!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:41 PM

Thank you all for the comments