Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Machine to take to Class? >

Which Machine to take to Class?

Which Machine to take to Class?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:43 PM

I take my featherweight. It's lightweight, dependable and sews like butter. I just bought an elna grasshopper, hoping to take that one too.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:48 PM

It depends... For just piecing, I would probably take the older machine. But, I will be honest, I got a new Viking Ruby last Dec and I still take it to classes instead of my old Lily. The newness/novelty of the Ruby hasn't worn off yet!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:33 PM

I have a small Singer I take to classes. It has no electronics involved so I am not really concerned with the bumps along the way.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:55 PM

I haven't been to any classes in a while, but when I go I take my 40-something vintage Kenmore 3/4 size. It's the machine I learned on, it sews a perfect straight stitch and has an adorable convenient little carrying case. It's still heavy for it's size, but the lightest of my machines. If the class was going to involve quilting, I'd probably have to take a bigger machine.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:18 PM

I have a Janome 760 that I take to class. I bought it because I could no longer lug my Brother mechanical to class, it was just too darn heavy.

My primary machine is a Kenmore Elite, it stays home, although in an emergency, I have taken it to class.

I see absolutely no problem with you taking your Janome back and forth. These are sturdy machines, the computerized parts are encased in metal so they are not going to be jostling about with movement. If I didn't have the Elite, I'd be using the 760 at home in and class as well.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:08 AM

I take my Bernina 185 to classes and sew in and workshops. I take and my Featherweigt to camp quilts when I remember.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 AM

I purchased a Janome Jem specifically for classes. It's only 12 pounds and Joann's sells a scrapbooking case on wheels that is perfect for portability. One of the women purchased a 6 pound machine, but it travels and isn't steady. This one seems like a good weight.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:02 AM

I take the machine I'm most apt to use for the technique taught in the class. I strap it in securely so it cannot slide around or fall over.

I see other ladies with small "go to class" machines, and hear lots of fussing when they do not have the features on those machines that they will have to go home and learn on their own.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:13 AM

I have an embroidery brother combo it's big and heavy and I just got this one http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewin...e#.UiCKiU3D-M8 to take to my first workshop it came with a carrier it doesn't have much but what I sewed with it has a good feed when sewing. if you go to the link scroll down
Old 08-30-2013, 04:24 AM

Amazon has a great little Brother , I believe it is CSi 6000 which I purchased for $154.00 and I see it is cheaper now. It is only 14 pounds and sews like a dream. It is much better to haul it around than my big heavy Pfaff. Also it is an computer machine with a number of stitches. When my Pfaff broke down I finished an applique project with it and you cannot tell the difference. I have friends who have had this little machine as their primary machine for 5 years and all love it.