Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you use? >

What would you use?

What would you use?

Old 08-27-2013, 06:11 AM

Default What would you use?

Good Morning All,

I haven't been on in a long time. Had a baby 14 months ago and well life happens. I am hoping to get back in the groove and sewing more again. I have an old machine that was my Grandmas (so it is about 60 years old). It is a great machine but not made to handle the quilting aspect that I am into now. I also have a White from JoAnns that my parents got me when I started sewing (also not meant to handle the amount of sewing that I am doing). So I told my dear husband that I needed a new, reliable machine for Christmas this year. He agreed but last week told me that I needed to pick a machine because he was just going to buy it for me for "being such a good wife and great mom mom". So I am in the market for a machine. I sew about anything but quilting is my love so I want a machine that can handle FMQ as well as piecing and straight line quilting (so a little of everything). Just wondered what you guys are using and recommend. Obviously the less expensive the better but no more than $1200. We don't have a lot of local shops here in central PA but I know of a Bernina and a Janome shop for sure. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:22 AM

If you have a local dealer I would go and have a look and most importantly have a go. You need to feel the machine and you will know when you are comfortable . Also make a list of some of the things you would like on the machine and which is very important. Use the Internet to look at machines and read some of the threads here. I own both a janome and bernina in your price range and do very different jobs on them. My friend loves her bernina but is also looking at juki machines which you do not have on sale locally and servicing could be a problem.
Enjoy your search.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Janome is very nice. We own several of them. My go to is the Janome 6500. I have owned it 9 years and work it hard daily. You can do free motion on it as it has a larger opening. A Juki straight stich is nice too but I am not sure if you need other sttiches.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:32 AM

buy the best janome you can afford I love my 7700 but it is pricey. the 6600 is great to.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 AM

My hat's of to your hubby for recognizing how much quilting means to you and being willing to support your creative endeavors!

Be sure to take a few samples of the things you actually sew when you test drive any machines. The fabric samples at the stores are always nice stiff fabric to make the decorative stitches look good. You will probably want to see how the machine handles piecing pointy triangles and quilting over bulky seams, etc.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:00 AM

My preference is for Berninas, but Janomes are good machines, too. You need to sit down at the various machines and sew. Machines have different feels and they also have different sounds. Make a list of options you want -- knee lift, needle up/down, auto threader, thread cutter, decorative stitches, needle position adjustment. If you will be FMQing with it, get the largest throat you can. Find out which feet come with the machine and what any other feet you might want will cost. For example, my Bernina did not come with a rolled edge foot and I now find I need one. Make sure it comes with a walking foot. And find out what kind of warranty each shop offers. The shops may have some gently used trade-ins. I purchased my $4,000 embroidery machine for $1,000, because the lady who originally bought it only kept it for a few months, then traded it in when she upgraded. Most importantly, take your time.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 AM

I would definitely take a look at the Janomes since you have a dealer. I have a 6600P and love it. Nice large area for FMQ and the accufeed is great - as well as other auto functions. I have an old New Home (which Janome bought out) and it is a great little stitcher - I call him "Mr. Butta" since he sews as smooth as butter. The Bernias are a good machine too - so I would go for a test drive with both and see what you like.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 AM

Congratulations on your baby! Now for your other 'baby'.....I am partial to Janome...my first computerized machine was a DC3500......it was a wonderful starter machine. I upgraded to a MC4900 a few years ago, and have been very satisfied with it. One of the deciding factors on choosing this brand is that it has metal parts, not plastic. Repairmen have given this brand very high marks for durability as well as function. I agree with others that you need to find what works best for you. Try several brands/models out. You will know what works best for you.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:29 AM

I have an older Kenmore, along with an inexpensive Brother and a ("not inexpensive") Janome 7700. I love them all . . . but especially love my Janome!

When you talk to the dealer, ask if he/she can give you a better deal on a floor model. They may have a few "miles" on them BUT any kinks have been worked out and they have to be kept in great condition, in order to represent the model being sold. The best part is the discount!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

The fall is when many people upgrade their machines. You might be able to get a nice trade in bernina if you advertise to the local dealer that you are interested in buying one. I love the stitch regulator for fmq'ing. It really takes a lot of the guess work out of it. You might also check with your local quilt guild. Many of the ladies sell to each other for a better price.

The janome is a nice machine and the feet and attachments are much less money. My complaint was plastic feet and the drop in bobbin. I had always had a bernina and the janome felt strange to me. But, like everyone say's, try the machines and see which one has the features you want and feels right to you.