Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine vs Hand quilting >

Machine vs Hand quilting

Machine vs Hand quilting

Old 12-01-2009, 07:41 AM

Any special quilts I do are hand quilted. If I want to get it done in a hurry I will machine quilt.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Banned

I also machine quilt with my longarm, special quilts that need hand quilting, I send to a church group to hand quilt, and they do a nice job. I would never have time to hand quilt, because I love to piece. I also got a new Bernina machine in April and am learning to machine quilt on there. It is different then the longarm.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:27 AM
dsj

Hi Joan of PA,

Your question is great, since I do almost everything by hand and the truth is the sewing machine makes me nervous I have no idea why because it makes the process so much quicker. I will piece with the machine and have quilted by machine, I get very tense and then my neck and shoulders pay the price. Hand quilting is how I relax and I have no earthly idea what I'm thinking about when I'm doing it, I just know that I love it. Hand quilting is quite an art although, machine quilting takes a lot of time and practice too and is just as beautiful. Try some small pieces and see what you enjoy the most.

dsj
Old 12-01-2009, 09:54 AM

While we are on the subject of aching backs from quilting. A few weeks ago I was in one of those "dollar stores" and by the cashier there was a wire mesh sort of contraption that can be put in a chair to lean back against. The gal said she had one in every computer chair she uses. I bought one to put on the sofa while I'm quilting and it is WONDERFUL! Lots better than a pillow. I move it to my sewing chair, too, but I usually am not leaning back when at the machine.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

AI am a hand quilter. It is just the way i enjoy quilting. I am also in the market for a machine to do some quilting on, for small projects. I love making the tops, but sitting down at my frame to hand quilt is the best part for me. I love choosing a pattern and watching it come to life. Having said that, i have seen beautiful quilts here, done by machine or by longarm, that i would be proud to have done. i think it is just a choice, and that you can do both.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

I know that I would be no good with machine quilting with a regular machine or even with the special long arm. BUT that is not why I prefer hand quilting. I like to do it because I feel it makes the quilt more ME. I don't know if that makes sense. I like how people react when they see something that I have made.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:41 AM

The beauty of your question is that it allows all of us to look at our choices in relation to others. I was very surprised at how many quilters responded that they love hand quilting. I have been afraid to even admit that today in this world of beautiful machine quilting results. I love to experience both and usually have one of each in progress. My end results are not perfect by any means, but it is the warm feelings that I receive because I did it myself. When I give my items as gifts it is always with the statement that they don't have to love my end product. It just gives me great love in the giving. They are free to pass it on to someone who they think may enjoy it more than they would.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:42 AM

The beauty of your question is that it allows all of us to look at our choices in relation to others. I was very surprised at how many quilters responded that they love hand quilting. I have been afraid to even admit that today in this world of beautiful machine quilting results. I love to experience both and usually have one of each in progress. My end results are not perfect by any means, but it is the warm feelings that I receive because I did it myself. When I give my items as gifts it is always with the statement that they don't have to love my end product. It just gives me great pleasure in the giving. They are free to pass it on to someone who they think may enjoy it more than they would.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Joanofpa
I am really curious but not because I am ready to do either yet,
what do you do and why would you chose one over the other?
All this reading about quilt making has more and more questions coming to mind. Thanks! :?:
I prefer to hand quilt but due to time constraints and the fact that my arthritis in my hands is slowly getting worse, I've begun learning to machine quilt. I hand quilt the quilts that are special to me, those I want to keep or that I want to do exceptionally well at a show or the fair. If it is for a baby, is a wall hanging, or for something that is going to be used like a quilted tablecloth, then I machine quilt it. Machine quilting is also great if you have a lot of projects that you need to get done. If it weren't for machine quilting I would still have over 100 UFOs instead of the measely 90 I have now. (I know, I know, that's still a horrid amount but it's at least going down now instead of increasing!)
Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by illinois
While we are on the subject of aching backs from quilting. A few weeks ago I was in one of those "dollar stores" and by the cashier there was a wire mesh sort of contraption that can be put in a chair to lean back against. The gal said she had one in every computer chair she uses. I bought one to put on the sofa while I'm quilting and it is WONDERFUL! Lots better than a pillow. I move it to my sewing chair, too, but I usually am not leaning back when at the machine.
Here is a handy tip for those who get back aches while sitting at your sewing machine. If you can't afford to go buy a new chair or all the fancy gadgets out there, try this - Suck in your stomach. I know it sounds simply and a bit silly but it gives added support to your lower back and really helps. My problem is that I can't ever seem to remember to keep it tucked in. I'll be sewing along and suddenly realize my back hurts and I've no idea when I relaxed my stomach muscles. :roll: