Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine won't stop sewing >

machine won't stop sewing

machine won't stop sewing

Old 06-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Gal

This happened to my Janome, which I had for about 20 years. It began to sew by it's self, very scary and dangerous! In my case it was a shorting out of the wires in the foot control pedal but I did not need to take my machine to get fixed just the foot pedal and cable to an electrician to get new wiring put in, once fixed it was perfect. The electrician said I was lucky I did not get an electric shock from the thing!

Gal
Old 06-21-2010, 07:43 PM

I had the same thing happen to me with a Brother machine. It is a computerized machine. I was using the foot pedal and I was chin piecing and after about ten minutes or so, it just took off all by itself! The only way to stop it was to shut it off or unplug it.

I took it in to the shop who sent it to the dealer and they could not recreate it. It had happened to me several times. The dealer and the guy that owns the shop seemed to think it may be related to the use of the foot pedal. It seems that (maybe) by unplugging the machine and and unplugging the foot pedal it resets something and it hasn't done it again since I picked it up.

The guy at the shop said next time it happens to unplug the machine (leave it turned on) and to bring it to him. He said maybe he would be able to see what was happening that way? I don't know.

Do you know someone with the same or similar machine that would let you borrow a foot pedal to try? It may be your foot pedal and not a computer issue?

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:10 PM

I'd be marching those machines back to the dealer. With so many of you having problems it really should be Janomes problem. I would fighting for a new pedal too and wouldn't be paying for it.

Take in a copy of this thread with you (or mail one directly to Janome)
Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 PM

My Janome 6500 is on its third foot pedal. Or maybe 4th, I'm not sure. The machine is about 3.5 years old. It's definitely the pedal itself, not because it's stuck under anything, at least in my situation. The service guy has witnessed it himself, which is fortunate for me because I haven't had to pay for a replacement foot. I have, however, marked the bottom of the pedal with a Sharpie so I don't get the old one back someday! If you don't replace the foot, the machine will eventually begin sewing whenever you lower the presser foot, and if you raise it again, the machine will probably start beeping at you to lower it so it can start stitching again. It's a little unnerving, but you have to admit, it makes a good story, especially when you can tell your friends that your machine sews even when you're across the room pressing the last seam. If only you could train it to sew the next seam the right way while you're pressing... (sigh...)

This problem has come up here before. I would suggest that you find the previous postings, and if you can't get some satisfaction from your service person, contact Janome directly and present the evidence to them.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 PM

Talk about quilters cruise control.

Yea I too would be taking the machine in and getting a new foot pedal at no cost to myself!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:38 AM

I'm joining this board in particular to tell you that I have had that same experience (machine won't quit sewing). I have a Janome DC3050, one year old, and it did the same thing. In fact, it did even more than just not stop. It would start sewing all by itself when I wasn't even at the machine. I took it in for repair(which is free where I bought it, for life) and they fixed it but I never did find out what the problem was. Since then, it's been working great. Was glad to hear some one else had the same problem. I think they thought I was crazy - happy to find out I'm not! Good luck.

donnal
Old 06-22-2010, 03:57 AM

Wow, I'm somewhat shocked at how many have had similar issues! You're describing exactly what is happening with my machine. When it started happening more often, I started keeping my camera nearby, so yesterday, before I posted this, I finally got a little video of the machine doing this. I figured the dealer would not believe me without any proof and was sure it wouldn't happen while the machine is in the shop. And together with this thread and one other I found here on the forum so far, at least this time I should get my free replacement. It cannot be so difficult to make a quality foot pedal that lasts years without causing any trouble, so I'm wondering why Janome doesn't. I'm not willing to fork out 65 dollars for a part once a year or so. Thank you all so much!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:49 AM

My Janome 9000 does that sometimes. Too weird!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:54 AM

it might be that there is a loose piece of plastic that shifts around and gets just a little bit jammed. but that is my two cents. it could just be a common flaw with the foot peddle. which happens.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:35 AM

My mom has the opposite problem with her Pfaff. If it doesn't feel like working it just doesn't. But we had the pedal tested, it has a short in it.