Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machines for FMQ >

machines for FMQ

machines for FMQ

Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Isn't it nice to know it's not just you?
Very! I feel much better about it now.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Kas

I would take the Janome in again and have them restore the bobbin tension to factory settings. Then try again. I had to replace my Pfaff because the tension got screwed up somehow and was not fixable. It is ok for straight stitching, but decorative stitches and fmq are out the window with that machine. Neither repair shop could find the reason for the tension going wonky. I have a Bernina 640 now and it fmqs like a dream!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by annesthreads
Originally Posted by dunster
I agree that the Janome should be able to do FMQ, and am glad your mom's Husqvarna is working for you. I have a Bernine 440QE, and the Bernina Stitch Regulator (BSR) makes free motion a breeze.
The Bernina is my dream machine! But it's so expensive that I think I must look at the alternatives too. Do you find that the throat space is big enough for larger quilts?
I quilted larger quilts in sections on the Bernina, but now I have a longarm. I did quilt one large quilt (not in sections) on the Bernina, but it was a fight.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:43 AM

That's the main issue that's making me consider other machines that have a more generous space for manoeuvering quilts.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

I think you will have trouble maneuriving a quilt in any DSM. That's why I went to quilting in sections, and it worked really well for me. If I hadn't bought the longarm, I would still be quilting in sections. Marti Michell has an excellent book out on it.

That's the main issue that's making me consider other machines that have a more generous space for manoeuvering quilts.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:46 AM

I am using a singer 241-11...which is really a leather machine i guess..it is old 1948 but it does exactly what i want it to with out all the gizmos that my Designer SE LE has..plus the throat space is 11 inches and it can stitch up to 5000 per min ( no i haven't gotten it that high nor do i think i am going to try lol) I am using serger thread...but im a newbie =) good luck sweetie.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:52 AM

I too have a Janome 6600P that I struggled with on FMQ. I bought a Juki and use that for FMQ all the time. One thing I found is the pressure foot reulator needs to be up as high as it will go. Bought the Janome for quiting because it was supposed to be a quilting machine. I understand how discouraged youmust be.

I'm in the UK, and I don't think we have Sew and Vac here. I've taken the machine back to the dealer more than once, and have talked to Janome. The dealer says it must be me that's the problem and that I can't expect perfect FMQ (OK, but I think I can expect better than every stitch underneath showing the top thread!), Janome say use embroidery thread - which does help, but I don't want to be so restricted when there are so many fabulous quilting threads available. Am I being unreasonable?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 PM

I have a Janome 4800 and I fmq on it all the time. When I first started the stitches were too loose, I took it back to the lqs that I bought it at and they adjusted the bobbin tension and it's been perfect since. You do have to be careful when you adjust the bobbin tension though. Good luck and keep on trying. If you take it to the shop where you bought it, make sure to take some samples of what it is doing and squares to practice on while you are there.
Sue
Old 03-11-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
I have a Janome 4800 and I fmq on it all the time. When I first started the stitches were too loose, I took it back to the lqs that I bought it at and they adjusted the bobbin tension and it's been perfect since. You do have to be careful when you adjust the bobbin tension though. Sue
Thanks Susie. I've just ordered the FMQ bobbin case that Janome now do, so we'll see if that helps (didn't fancy messing with the bobbin tension myself!). It's good to hear that someone has managed to make the 4800 into a good quilting machine!