Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
maching sewing binding on back >

maching sewing binding on back

maching sewing binding on back

Old 10-10-2010, 04:00 AM

Ok so this is backwards - but I sew it to the front, then stitch in the ditch on the front to sew it on the back
Old 10-10-2010, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lystra
I have been trying to machine sew my binding on the back of my quilt instead of doing the blind stitch by hand and it doesn't look good! But it takes forever to do it by hand. I would like to stick to doing it by machine so does anyone have any ideas how to keep it straight and looking good on the back and STILL catch the binding?
I am pretty sure the bulk of your answers will be to sew it on the backturn it to the front, and then machine stitch it down. This has been the subject of several topics lately. You can use a fancy stitch on your sewing machine or just a straight stitch. I think we all agree this is the best way.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:08 AM

Since my quilts go to charities, and I make a lot of them, I need all the fast and easy methods I can find.

I sew my binding to the back, with the back side UP and then turn it over. Just like the video. Then I pin the 4 corners and stitch on top using thread that matches when possible. I can bind a quilt in about an hour. I use my walking foot. It helps keep the layers smooth.

Previously I tried to sew the binding to the back by putting it underneath the 3 layers of quilt, with the TOP facing UP. For some reason the top of the quilt would creep and when I got to the corners, no matter how carefully I had trimmed the layers, I would have a shortage on the corners. Once I changed my method, I have not had a problem with creeping fabric.

I have made and delivered 33 quilts so far this year, and every one is bound this way. I cannot handle a hand sewing, so my quilts must be machine stitched. If the Quilt Police are looking, they would have to give me a lot of tickets for violating the rules, but as you know, Rules are made by the quilter and sometimes are created as we go along.

Happy Quilting.
June in Cincinnati
Old 10-10-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
When I sew the binding down by machine entirely, I sew it down on the back first, pull it to the front and sew it down usind a decorative stitch. If the binding is not entirely straight (and it never is), the decorative stitch acts as an additional adornment and its unevenness isn't noticed.
If you glue the binding before stitching it will stay in place and be straighter!
Old 10-10-2010, 04:25 AM

I got a tip off a website and this is what I do. She said unless you are having it judged in a show, do a small zigzag by machine. I sew it on the front, using 2 1/2 in binding, at 3/8", straight stitch, then I flip it over and fold my binding down on the stitching line I just made, and sew a very small zigzag with invisible thread hitting both sides of the binding with the stitch. I have really good luck with YLI in both my bobbin and top thread and my stitching doesn't show. I use regular cotton thread when I first sew it on my quilt from the top side, invisible only on the back side for my zigzag. I use the folded edge of my binding as my center for the zigzag stitching. It looks good, is fast and I love this way.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:59 AM

thanks for the videos I found another one on youtube but I can't get mine to look that good on the back but I'll post it anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jw0E...eature=related
Old 10-10-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lystra
thanks guys....for all the great advice. I do agree that handstitching looks best but I have not tried pulling the binding to the front. I don't have very many decorative stitches so I'll have to zig zag....can't wait to try it!
I have a tutorial for a faux cording binding. You sew two strips together one 1-3/4 inch and one 1-1/2 inch. When you press the fold you end up with a 1/8 edge of contrasting color. Sew the binding to the back (contrast color on top) and, when you bring it to the front, you stitch in the ditch and it makes a gorgeous binding.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:44 AM

Try making the binding 2 3/4 in. That extra 1/4 in makes turning so much easier.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:48 AM

Where can I find your tute?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 AM

excellent idea