Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mad Adders Ricky Tims >

Mad Adders Ricky Tims

Mad Adders Ricky Tims

Old 08-23-2023, 04:28 PM

Default Mad Adders Ricky Tims

Is anyone considering being a Mad Adder participant? Ricky Tims is going to encourage groups of 6 to rethink how round robin quilting should happen.... Anticipate cutting things up that come to you. Cutting up isn't required but it sure sounds like our work will become a disappearing nine-patch type of ensemble. It could be interesting.

If anyone is willing to give it a try PM me. It will cost to have access to the classes he is offering and the postage to ship the project to the next person, to say nothing of the fabric. BUT it would be an interesting learning experience especially if we all accept that our work will likely be sliced and diced by everyone....

6-member team. Each starts with their center and then sends it to the next person. Here's a link to the project: https://www.letsquilttogether.com/sh...=directmailmac

I'm thinking wall-hanging size. No reveals until the grand reveal. But we can talk about it!!
Old 08-23-2023, 05:15 PM

Not for me. Too expensive. 74 odd dollars plus buying fabric and postage. Sounds more like a money maker for Ricky Tims.

Seems to me it would be a lot cheaper to do it among friends getting together for fun and skip the entrance fee.
Old 08-24-2023, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

Sounds more like a money maker for Ricky Tims.

Nothing wrong with that. At least he is trying to do some interesting things for quilters. I would love to join but I don't have the time. I have committed to a lot of zoom sew along classes. They are a lot of fun and I have met so many wonderful people through zoom classes.
Old 08-24-2023, 05:17 AM

It looks fun! I have never worked on a "shared" quilt. I usually don't work from a pattern or make traditional blocks. Plus, I'm really indecisive with too many choices. I will follow your project if you do!
I did purchase his Convergence Book.
Old 08-24-2023, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Sounds more like a money maker for Ricky Tims.

Nothing wrong with that. At least he is trying to do some interesting things for quilters. I would love to join but I don't have the time. I have committed to a lot of zoom sew along classes. They are a lot of fun and I have met so many wonderful people through zoom classes.
I agree. Nothing wrong with making money. It takes quite a bit of organizing to do a round robin. Someone has to do the work and deserves to be paid.

I'm not a fan of round robins and don't participate in them. If I liked them, I do it.
Old 08-24-2023, 06:58 AM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.
Default I have been on the fence

Long time lurker here and a big Ricky Tims fan. If you have never taken one of his classes, I recommend it, he is as nice in person as he appears to be. Genuine as they come.

I would be interested in doing this one but haven’t yet figured out how to PM someone! I’m running out the door right now but will definitely check back this evening.

FYI: I have been quilting for thirty plus years but have never joined a round robin.
Old 08-24-2023, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
Not for me. Too expensive. 74 odd dollars plus buying fabric and postage. Sounds more like a money maker for Ricky Tims.

Seems to me it would be a lot cheaper to do it among friends getting together for fun and skip the entrance fee.
When I wrote "Sounds more like a money maker for Ricky Tims" It was under the guise of saying that I thought it sounded like it was more like a class you could take, than just a fun contest - get together.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:43 AM

There is definitely a class component to this! You can watch the lectures live or review the videos afterwards. He is hoping to ease us into a new way to think about our piecing. I just want to give it a shot and have never done a round robin. So I thought I would do a shout out to see if anyone wants to give this a try. My suggestion is to not use super expensive fabric because we're all learning how to do something new. I like the idea of just send something bigger than what you received so adding to one side of the project is an option. Modern quilting style?? The possibilities are intriguing. And each of us in the group can request color or theme preferences. At the end, we take what we get and augment it as we like. Total creativity and options! No guilt quilting.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
It looks fun! I have never worked on a "shared" quilt. I usually don't work from a pattern or make traditional blocks. Plus, I'm really indecisive with too many choices. I will follow your project if you do!
I did purchase his Convergence Book.
I've seen the beautiful work you have posted in here. This nontraditional quilting style is right up your alley! We aren't supposed to post pictures until after the reveal. That's a long time to go without full pictures. I think you should jump on in, lol. Besides, being in Corpus with me makes it easy to deliver to one another.

I've got the Convergence book too! I have only drooled on it.
Old 08-24-2023, 03:53 PM

Here is a blurb straight from the website https://www.letsquilttogether.com/sh...directmailmac:

What Is Mad Adders?
Mad Adders is a concept to create a wall quilt, primarily created using patchwork, in a round-robin fashion. The six individuals each provide a starter piece and each participant adds to it. The originator should not see their project until the reveal party. After the reveal party, the originator may then alter, change, or add to their quilt top and then finish it as desired. The size of the finished quilt is not limited, but would likely be no larger than 60” with most quilts finishing in the 36”-50” range.

Anyone want to come up with a great name for our QB (Quilting Board) RTMA (Ricky Tim's Mad Adders) group? We need a nickname if we do jump into the shenanigans. Counting me, there are four people willing to try this via PM. Two more needed f'sure. We can waitlist or team up folks if more want to jump in.

Big components to recognize if you are considering/able to do this:
  • cutting up of your work is to be expected
  • Mad Adders is a piecing project only (until you get yours back and then you can do what you like)
  • this is new to all of us so don't spend a fortune getting new fabric -- great stash-shopping project!
  • let's keep the final projects small as we will be shipping things around the country six times!
  • we have to be able to laugh at ourselves as we learn from Ricky
  • one one-month turnaround before it is time to ship to the next team member
  • some may have to drop out before the end -- expect the unexpected -- no guilt allowed!
  • take lots of pictures of your work along the way to document the progress -- maybe a thumb drive to send with the quilt in progress would be useful? Journey entries to pack with the quilt in progress too? We might as well share thoughts and jokes and recipes.
  • in the end we can embellish and rework what we want to so we are going to end up with something amazing that we like or can incorporate into a bigger quilt as we please
  • register by Oct 1 with Ricky Tims and class starts Oct 4
  • Zoom meetings have been recommended for the group to chat while working -- but not showing what they are doing! (as per Ricky: Establish a team of six quilters who live remotely and meet using Zoom. With this scenario, each person will be required to mail totes at the appropriate time. Naturally, this method would require additional expense as the totes would be shipped once a month over the course of six months. The Reveal Party would be virtual.)
  • REVEAL PARTY!!! (virtual)