Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Made a big mistake - what to do? >

Made a big mistake - what to do?

Made a big mistake - what to do?

Old 11-01-2013, 08:11 AM

Katie is 6 years old - I know she will not know now, but probably later will think her grandma really didn't know how to make a quilt. Oh well -- I put all the blocks together and they really do look ok, I think.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Learn and live.

As others have said - if all the blocks are basically the same (absolutely identical is like perfection - impossible to attain) - no one but you will be aware of the 'design change.'

And it may actually look prettier than the 'original design' when you are finished with it.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:01 PM

It will be one of a kind of quilt and it will be priceless because it was made by you! love it and she will love it!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:33 PM

Hay Hay--Hay is for horses? All you have to do is say ---New pattern design---------Every one will want to do the same..........It is easy...it works-----I know, I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alot of mine turn out to be new designs and they ask how did you do that? Suprise, I smile and go on. Have fun and laugh alot!!!!!!!!! Don't let the quilt police in without a warrant.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I'd say if they are all the same, it would look planned. No one will think a thing of it. It can't be a mistake if all the blocks have flat petals. Even the quilt police will say, "I've never seen that pattern before!"
I agree with Lisa. Try not to stress over it too much. Your Granddaughter will love it just the same.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by jmkb View Post
just was worried about her mom and other grandmom
If either one of them is ungracious enough to say anything, just paste a super sweet smile on your face and say, "I challenge you to do better." If they're not quilters, they'll clam up. Hee hee. If they are quilters, I'd like to think that a fellow quilter would be kind enough to take delight in the new pattern you just created.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:55 PM

Just last week I saw a pattern for a Disappearing 16 Patch. You make the 16 patch and cut it on the diagonal both ways; then sew the long sides of the triangles together again. You end up with a four patch in the center (on point), surrounded by lots of little triangles, and all points will be cut off when sewn to something else. It is meant to be that way.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:25 PM

Perfect! YOU should be the Quilt Police!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by jmkb View Post
Katie is 6 years old - I know she will not know now, but probably later will think her grandma really didn't know how to make a quilt. Oh well -- I put all the blocks together and they really do look ok, I think.
I always say "Artistic Design Choice" sounds important enough

Also, your DGD will never say her grandma really didnt know how to make a quilt. I know I never said that to my grandma with her crochet, and she only knew one pattern I have that afgan folded up on top of a bookshelf, because now that grandma is gone, I wont be getting another one, so I am protecting it. I am sure your granddaughter will be doing the same. We are not perfect but our love is.....and that one was made with love.

Stand up proud, you made her a gift of love....that is all that matters, and she will treasure it forever!