Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Made in USA  - FYI >

Made in USA - FYI

Made in USA - FYI

Old 02-13-2013, 05:12 AM

Here's another made in USA product.....I ordered micro handles, designed and made especially for Bailey quilting machines right here in USA! [email protected], They should arrive shortly. I can't wait to try them for FMQ.[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 AM

Thanks for the info. So hard to find anything made in the USA anymore.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by twoxover View Post
i just sent them an email asking...we will see what they have to say!
Thanks! That was going to be my next step. I DO know that labeling is strictly regulated by the U.S. If it is made (assembled) in US of imported textiles - their label MUST state that. They don't have to disclose the countries the textiles are from but the MUST state it is imported on the label. SO, they may buy their gray goods from "over there" but still create the actual desgins on the fabric in NY which makes it MADE in the USA...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by mmac71 View Post
I even have been checking things like Orange Juice, fruit cups etc., be surprised how much is from Brazil, China and other countries. Uck.....
The outside world is a very big, sometimes very nice place, sometimes not. There are lots of good things out here to be savored...

Sure, in every country, where ever it is we live, we should try to buy locally, try to support our native economies, encourage creativity and invention in our neighborhoods, but let's not fall into the trap of 'demonizing the foreign'.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt View Post
Thanks! That was going to be my next step. I DO know that labeling is strictly regulated by the U.S. If it is made (assembled) in US of imported textiles - their label MUST state that. They don't have to disclose the countries the textiles are from but the MUST state it is imported on the label. SO, they may buy their gray goods from "over there" but still create the actual desgins on the fabric in NY which makes it MADE in the USA...
Fabrics that are merely printed/dyed in the US do not qualify for the Made in USA label. It does not meet the "all or virtually all" standard. "Raw" fabric is not far enough removed from the finished product to be considered an insignificant part. It is, in fact, quite significant. Batiks that come back here to be packaged do not qualify either.
http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...e-usa-standard

As for the 'made in the US of imported fabrics' country of origin label, that relates to the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act and covers the manufacturer (including home quilters that sell their goods) of finished clothing and household products made from textiles, not necessarily the manufacturer of the textiles themselves.
http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/textile/textlact.htm
Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 AM

so glad you posted this about made in the USA! And as far as your weather goes, my daughter-in-law (from Gilbert) mentioned scraping her windshield a couple of days ago. What's up, Arizona?????
Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Sometimes it's very difficult to purchase something made in the USA. Our country seems to be moving away from manufacturing and toward service and information techologies.
and the service and info technology seems to be lacking dearly!!!!!!!!!! We will eventually destroy ourselves as did the Roman Empire!!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 AM
QKO

Blank Quilting fabrics are NOT made in USA. We have been a dealer for them for many years, but have recently stopped, not because of the quality but because the shipping costs from their east coast location are too high for us to continue selling them profitably. They are decent quality fabrics, on par with most other quilt-shop quality fabrics.

All Blank Quilting fabrics are printed either in So. Korea or China (most in So Korea), on greige goods woven and processed in China. Various sources are used for the raw cotton used, including China, Pakistan, Egypt and the USA among others.

After printing and finishing in Korea or China, the jumbo rolls are shipped to the east coast of the USA where they are doubled and rolled, usually onto 15 yard bolts and distributed to quilt shops.

About the only thing "made in the USA" about Blank (or any other quality quilting fabric, for that matter) might be the bolt cardboards they are rolled onto, and the original designs used.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 AM

Well said.
Originally Posted by Maggiem View Post
The outside world is a very big, sometimes very nice place, sometimes not. There are lots of good things out here to be savored...

Sure, in every country, where ever it is we live, we should try to buy locally, try to support our native economies, encourage creativity and invention in our neighborhoods, but let's not fall into the trap of 'demonizing the foreign'.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Or perhaps the 'Made in USA' label itself??
I think you nailed it!!!

I