Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
magazine subscription >

magazine subscription

magazine subscription

Old 06-11-2016, 03:53 PM

Default magazine subscription

I ordered QUILTNG magazine and paid for it. Now I keep getting notices that I owe them. I get these notices about 3 times a month. Does anyone else have this problem with them, and how do I handle it?
Old 06-11-2016, 04:20 PM

Have you got your magazines yet? There is a phone number on the editors page. Call them.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:25 PM

Glad I'm not the only one....
Old 06-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

I just look at the expiration date and drop them in a folder until the year they are really due!
Old 06-11-2016, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

How did you order it? Sometimes, if you order through a company rather than directly from the magazine, the company duns you with "notices" for renewal or bills. Just ignore them.

Edit: If you ordered directly from the magazine and paid, I would contact the magazine directly. There is usually contact info about subscriptions online or on the first page of the magazine. Usually you can make a phone call to their subscription department to handle a problem like this.

Take a close look at the "payment due" notices you are getting to see where they are coming from.

Last edited by Prism99; 06-11-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:36 PM

I would respond once sending a copy of my cancelled check. If you paid by credit card, check your statement and make sure it went through. If it did, send them a letter giving them the information that is was paid by credit card (i.e. Visa) and it was honored by them on the date. Keep a copy of the letter, and each time they send you a notice, return it to them with a copy of the letter. I have sent items 3 times, stating Second Notice, then Third and Final Notice written on the copy. For some reason it usually takes at least 30 days for an accounting correction, but I hate to "assume" it was corrected. Once I returned it stating if it continued I would contact the BBB and the US Post Office reporting them for mail fraud.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:40 AM

A lot of times they send what looks like a bill but it's not-just a come on to renew for another year. Read bill again carefully.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by hairquilt View Post
A lot of times they send what looks like a bill but it's not-just a come on to renew for another year. Read bill again carefully.
Yes, if what you go was a "bill" call them. If it is renewal notice, ignore it. I was a High School librarian and subscribed to over 100 magazines. We purchased all the magazines thru one supplier, but that did not stop all the renewal notices from the individual magazines.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:01 AM

They are hoping you forgot you paid them, and will pay them again, and again, and again. Its a standard scam in this business. So when I order, I do Like you, I pay for the entire subscription up front. Then I wait for them to stop shipping me the magazine in a year or more, before I reorder and I usually order a new magazine just to change it up. (Don't waste your time or stamps contacting them....this is how they run their business)
Old 06-12-2016, 06:13 AM

I am a terrible bookkeeper and have been known to send another payment. I have one subscription that goes until 2019 before it expires. Another way the subscription is taken by another magazine when one stops publishing. Many are published by the same company and when one goes out of publication they add the remaining months onto another similar magazine. My daughter bought some subscriptions probably from a school fund raiser, and is still getting the magazines 5-6 years later (no bills though) She has called and tried to stop them, but no luck. One is for parents of small children and my DGD is almost college bound. Strange.
Sue