Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Which magazines do you prefer on quilting?

I liked Quilt magazine but they have gotten so expensive now and I really enjoy McCall's quilt magazine. It is hard to identify which authors I like best.

I go to Joanne's flip thru them, if there is more than a couple patterns that catch my eye, that is the one I buy! I like Fons and Porter, and the Better Homes and Garden quarterly magazine the best. Both of them have clear instructions.

You are right some patterns I do not like because they are more of a art quilt. I believe the quilter like the artist should be appreciated for their work. I also like Better Homes and Gardens

Better Homes and Garden and Fons and Porter are my favorites .

Blog Entries
    I just subscribed to McCall's Quickie Quilt magazine. I liked the word "Quickie" in the title.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    I go to Joanne's flip thru them, if there is more than a couple patterns that catch my eye, that is the one I buy! I like Fons and Porter, and the Better Homes and Garden quarterly magazine the best. Both of them have clear instructions.
    Ditto :thumbup:

I don't favor any magazine and don't subscribe to any of them because of the price. I offen find quilt magazines or books at the Goodwill.

As I,m from the uk I like 'Fabrications' magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    I don't favor any magazine and don't subscribe to any of them because of the price. I offen find quilt magazines or books at the Goodwill.
    I agree with this. Get mine at Goodwill.

I've never bought a quilting magazine. With all the information and inspiration available on the net - especially on this site - I never felt the need for one and rather spend my money on fabric.

Blog Entries
    I just recently decided to stop my magazine subscriptions when they run out. It seems I look at them when they come in the mail and then they go into a magazine holder for the rest of eternity! I get enough ideas from here and the internet and not subscribing will give me some money for fabrics!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    Quilt show sells magazines alot, bought several for $1.00. Garage sales as well as thrift stores. I seldom buy new and when I do I find that they are so full of ads they should be free.

I like McCalls and the Quilter. I subscribe to McCalls, but when it runs out, I'm done. I have such a stack of magazines and books I should never buy another one!

Blog Entries
    Quiltmaker and American Patchwork & Quilting. I like Quiltmaker because they show the quilting design. Sometimes even if I don't like the quilt I'll save the quilting design. AP&Q just has styles and designs that I generally like.

I agree with all the comments about the content. Sometimes there's not much in the magazine that I'll actually consider making. But I enjoy having a quilt-related magazine come in the mail. It's just a little treat I allow myself. And the subscription cuts way down on the per-issue price.

I'm working on breaking myself from buying. I just tell myself that I can buy fabric with the money and get more use out of it. It's very hard to stop cold turkey. I try to just avoid that isle at the store altogether.

I am trying to break myself of buying or renewing subscriptions to quilting magazines. I do have them organized in binders and I get them out and look at them from time to time.

Blog Entries
    Quiltmaker, by far. There is at least two quilts in every issue that I must make. And the favorite issues, I usually make alot out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I just recently decided to stop my magazine subscriptions when they run out. It seems I look at them when they come in the mail and then they go into a magazine holder for the rest of eternity! I get enough ideas from here and the internet and not subscribing will give me some money for fabrics!
    I'm with you. I use to get about 4 or 5, and loved getting them in my mailbox. Mostly they gave me inspiration, I rarely used a pattern, and for this reason, and the price of groceries, I decided it was time to stop. Now I get my inspiration from here!

Blog Entries
    This is me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats
    I just subscribed to McCall's Quickie Quilt magazine. I liked the word "Quickie" in the title.

You Tube.

Blog Entries
    My favorite magazine is Australian patchwork and quilting. It is actually cheaper at the LQS than to get a subscription. Shipping from Australia to the US is very expensive. There is a way to get it thru Canada that will save but still cheaper at the LQS. I look thru it before I buy and don't get them all. They seem to have the kind of patterns that I like. I have used many patterns from the magazine. Also good inspiration

Blog Entries
    My favorite magazine is Australian patchwork and quilting. It is actually cheaper at the LQS than to get a subscription. Shipping from Australia to the US is very expensive. There is a way to get it thru Canada that will save but still cheaper at the LQS. I look thru it before I buy and don't get them all. They seem to have the kind of patterns that I like. I have used many patterns from the magazine. Also good inspiration

Love Quilt Sampler & a new one-- Primitive Quilts & Projects. Got my 1st copy & LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Check it out on the internet. They also have a woolen shop. Great projects if you are a primitive quilter as I am. Don't like to many of the other ones, too bright & goddy quilts in them for me.

I used to buy tons of them, but there is so much online at the magazine's site and fabric makers sites I couldnt make everything I see if I lived to be 300 yrs old sharet

Australian patchwork and quilting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast