Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
mailing a quilt >

mailing a quilt

mailing a quilt

Old 09-16-2011, 05:14 PM

i would go ups or fedex ground since my brothers bday present along with my 2 nieces presents got lost and the usps refused to even try to look for them i dont mail anything but bills by the postal service anymore. other places treat you like a customer and like they realize you could go elsewhere and they actually care and want you to be happy with their service. its no wonder the post office is going broke. sorry if i offended anyone but thats the way it is these days although i do remember when it was much different.
carla
Old 09-16-2011, 06:34 PM

Unless there is a trackable number on the package, it is nearly impossible to find it.

They handle millions of packages every day. So at least put Delivery Confirmation on it (the best service for the money), Insurance (which has its limits), Certify it, Express Mail, or Registered mail. The last three require a signature when delivered. Delivery Confirmation is scanned into the system at every stop and Registered mail is the most secure. It goes under lock and key with each employee, truck driver, etc. signing for it. If left overnight at a facility it is locked in a vault.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Learner747
Unless there is a trackable number on the package, it is nearly impossible to find it.

They handle millions of packages every day. So at least put Delivery Confirmation on it (the best service for the money), Insurance (which has its limits), Certify it, Express Mail, or Registered mail. The last three require a signature when delivered. Delivery Confirmation is scanned into the system at every stop and Registered mail is the most secure. It goes under lock and key with each employee, truck driver, etc. signing for it. If left overnight at a facility it is locked in a vault.
This is excellent and very useful information. Thanks for sharing! In fact, I'm going to copy it, and post it in my on line mailing folder for future reference.

Cheers!
Old 09-17-2011, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
I always suggest signature confirmation if there is not anyone home when the mail comes. A delivery confirmation package can just be left at the door or worse, I've seen packages hanging on mailboxes at the road. If someone has to sign for it, it can't be left outside "all alone".
Signature confirmation is much better than delivery confirmation. I have had two packages left in a hallway of my dd high rise, never to been seen again. No help from the post offices, ours or hers.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:29 AM

thanks for all the useful information! I use USPS with D/C and have been lucky enough to never have a problem.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:28 AM

I mail quilts all the time; I suggest 2-3 day Priority Mail through the post office. Don't bother getting insurance, they won't pay if it gets lost, you can get signature delivery confirmation so you know if/when it arrives, but other than that, don't bother to pay for any insurance...I've never had one get lost if that makes you feel better, sometime I used their flat rate boxes, sometimes not, but it always gets there within 2-3 days.