Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Major Newbie Mistake - Is it Too Late To Have it LongArm Quilted?? Yikes!! >

Major Newbie Mistake - Is it Too Late To Have it LongArm Quilted?? Yikes!!

Major Newbie Mistake - Is it Too Late To Have it LongArm Quilted?? Yikes!!

Old 02-19-2017, 08:26 PM

Okay, thanks for the extra info. You really have to stitch down the the headpiece and the hair. This is such a unique piece. I keep looking at it and honestly cannot think of an easy DSM quilting method for it. I think you should contact a few LA'ers in your area and see what they would suggest. Just don't go with the first suggestion--shop around because this piece is crying out for out of the ordinary quilting. This piece is definitely show worthy.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:29 PM

Your quilt looks just fabulous. If it was me I would call some long arm quilters and ask them. You might want to take the quilt to them and see what they say.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:18 PM

This is a magnificent piece of artwork. Bravo to you. If you do this quality work as a newbie, the sky's the limit as to what you'll produce in the future. Don't let a little quilting inexperience scare you off. I can't offer suggestions as to HOW to quilt the thing--that part always stumps me, too. I nearly burn up my thinker every time.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:39 PM

This is so very helpful. Thank you so much for this information.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I also think she is just stunning. Sounds like you are going to take an FMQ class & do it yourself, which is a great idea. Make sure that you do some practice pieces first to get used to quilting and do a bit of experimentation on motifs that you might use. I would also add a bit of applique to your practice pieces to see what you would like to do in those areas.
As far as taking a top to a long arm quilter, you need to verify with them first, but usually you cut the backing 6 to 12 inches wider and longer than your top. This allows them to attach the backing to the quilting frame. If you supply the batting, you would want it a couple inches wider & longer than the top. The long arm quilter you select will give you the specific sizes they need. You bring the top, backing & batting as separate pieces. Pricing can vary widely by geography and type of quilting. It can be as low as $0.01/ square inch for an 'edge to edge' design which would cover the entire top without regard for piecing or applique. Anything else is considered custom quilting. This is where the quilt designs are informed by the applique and/or piecing on the top. Pricing for this is more than edge to edge, and can be moderate to very costly depending on the type of quilting requested and the skill of the quilter. For small pieces, such as a wall hanging, there normally is a minimum charge. If you do decide to have a piece quilted by a long arm quilter, make sure that you get everything in writing. At a minimum, it should contain size of piece, batting choice, estimated completion date, thread choice type of quilting, and estimated price. Also, be sure to see samples of their work!
Old 02-19-2017, 10:42 PM

I am going to take it to a few LAers just to get their opinion as well as see their work for possible future quilts that I do especially if I do anything larger.

Originally Posted by CMQUILTER View Post
Your quilt looks just fabulous. If it was me I would call some long arm quilters and ask them. You might want to take the quilt to them and see what they say.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:05 PM

"Aww, you guys are truly incredible. Thank you. I feel like I have my own cheerleading squad."

You will find on this board that you do. And since your work is so stunning, you should!
Old 02-20-2017, 03:38 AM

A newbie to quilting, eh? That piece sure doesn't indicate that! It's gorgeous. Personally, I wouldn't long-arm that. As unique as this is, it cries for the piecing to stand alone without competition from the quilting. I think I would do a simple outline of the design, perhaps echo a little if you think it needs it for stability. If you do not want to do this yourself, I'd consider having someone hand quilt this rather than machine quilting. I think on another comment, you mention not liking to do the binding, etc by hand. Neither do I but I love to do hand quilting. Doesn't "compute", does it? But the hand quilting is a craft on its own and the binding is a chore, I guess. Congratulations on this stunning creation!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:34 AM

Beautiful lady. Love all the colors and you did a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing. I think you have lots of nice quilts ahead of you.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:09 AM

Wow! It is just gorgeous! Can't wait to see it finished
Old 02-20-2017, 06:20 AM

What an innovative piece! I really like it.