Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Major repair on king size quilt >

Major repair on king size quilt

Major repair on king size quilt

Old 02-05-2016, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by DeneK View Post
That is what I wanted to do. I volunteered but she wanted this one. In a perverse sort of way, I should be glad that was her preference. And, boy, is this a good lesson.
Awww, that's sweet of course and wonderfully sentimental. Maybe you could take her to a LQS and walk about a little, who knows... (Smile)

I guess it all depends on how long the repairs will take you...
Old 02-06-2016, 03:56 AM

My first 5 or 6 quilts all were wonderful....unfortunately nowadays I somehow just think I know what I'm doing when I don't. My seam ripper and I are on a first name basis now. Don't ask what names...can't put that on a public display!! LOL
Old 02-06-2016, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
My first 5 or 6 quilts all were wonderful....unfortunately nowadays I somehow just think I know what I'm doing when I don't. My seam ripper and I are on a first name basis now. Don't ask what names...can't put that on a public display!! LOL
Haha.....good one, Linda!

I haven't taken a king-sized one apart, but I have taken a full sized one apart that someone else put together.....takes a lot of work, and I don't envy you one little bit, DeneK!
Old 02-06-2016, 06:47 AM

I repaired a quilt that my sister-in-law made (that my brother-in-law got in the divorce). He washed the quilt and it hadn't been quilted closely enough to hold the batting together and what a mess. He wanted to salvage the quilt since it had some fabric in it that had been used to make some clothes for his kids when they were little. I ripped all the quilting out (what a job) and then had to resquare the top. I used a new warm and natural bat. I can't remember if I was able to salvage the back or not. I had to use new fabric for the binding. What a job. It was worse than starting from scratch.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:27 AM

My best friend was very excited to find a log cabin quilt with pillow shams in a yard sale and paid $100 for it. It was one probably made in China but she loved the colors. Unfortunately it was worn VERY thin. After a few months of having the quilt on her bed her dog chewed a large hole in the quilt. I took one of the pillow shams and used fabric from that to repair the hole. Had to add a piece of batting to replace what was missing and also fix the back. It was scary to sew in the pieces since the existing fabric was so fragile. She was happy with the results and had it on her bed for several more years.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:07 AM

After many years of quilting, I can cringe not only at the mistakes I made while learning at the beginning, but at the mistakes I still make! I guess we will never learn it all or be perfect, but the learning process sure is fun! I wish you well with the repairs. It sounds as though that quilt is a real treasure!
Old 02-06-2016, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I'm sure we all have had experiences like yours. I was fairly new to quilting when I was asked to make a king size quilt and was being paid. I was so embarrassed when a couple years later I was told that the quilt had developed little holes and asked if I could repair it. Apparently I must have used older black fabric, or it was defective when I bought it and I didn't catch it. After much debating with myself, and since it was a Roman Stripe quilt with black background, I opted to replace the black triangles, appliqued them on the quilt, then did the straight line stitching over the triangles, which amounted to almost half of the quilt. If it had been a gift to a friend or family member I might not have felt as bad, but this was my first commissioned quilt; although the owner of the quilt was happy with the repairs. Lesson learned, look material over carefully before buying and before using from your stash. On a happier note, I think it is wonderful that your DIL loved the quilt so much that she wanted the quilt repaired and didn't ask for a new one, although I might have been tempted to just make a new quilt. Like with sewing, I'd rather make a pattern from scratch rather than make alterations.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

I have never repaired a quilt and doubt I would.
Good luck on your fixes.