Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Make do tools >

Make do tools

Make do tools

Old 07-29-2010, 08:29 AM

All good ideas. I find the items from the hardware store are more durable and last forever. I have had some of my things for way to many years to mention or you might figure out I am old. These items are usually cheaper than the ones made just for quilting.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:03 PM

I've gotten a pair (actually a couple of pairs) of chopsticks from a local chinese place. They work pretty good.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:39 AM

Another old stand by is using pizza boxes to hold blocks nice & flat.Some pizza shops will give you a couple, others charge a nominal fee.They also stack nice & I use a black pen to write block pattern on the side.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:22 AM

Doncha just LOVE this thread? You should write a book about this - thank you so much for starting it. YEARS ago, when alot of us wore wigs, I remember paying BIG bucks for a wig hair brush - and then noticed that a pet brush - WHICH WAS EXACTLE the same thing sold for $1.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 AM

My hubby goes into a lot of the quiltshops with me. When we travel anywhere, he makes sure I research what shops are in the area. We also have a harbor freight (that we both love) in town! I bought my wooden tool box with drawers there and it cost $29 a few years ago, great for storing little things in! He used to be an aircraft mechanic, so he will always look for little things to help me out and save some money!
In the school supply section at WM they have fabric pencil bags with zippers. They run $2.50 and have flowers, trees etc on them. My rotary cutter would never seem to fit any of the plastic boxes made to hold them. I can fit it in there and an extra pack of blades! Also, I use the plastic pencil boxes for all the accessories from my sewing machines. Each machine has it's own box! I have been lookting at the tables and carts at HF lately, working on some ideas there! Will definitely keep checking the thread and print it out for mom and sis!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:21 AM

I seem to get a lot of tote type bags anywhere from subscriptions to hospital stays.
I love the Teachers bags that you can buy from Walmart.
They come in 2 sizes. They are black with a choice of blue or red-wine linings.
Anyway I use these for all kinds of storage. Books, magazines, WIP.
One is sitting by my recliner with my favorite books on blocks & bindings. I thought I would share the titles.

Quilter's Mix and Match...Leisure Arts...Love it
Encyclopedia of Classic Quilt Patterns...L Arts...Like
Block Party...Marsha Mc Closkey...Love
Quick and Easy Scrap Quilts...L Arts...Love
Block by Block...Beth Donaldson...Beginners

Designing with Built-In Borders...Sally Schneider...Variety
The Quilter's Edge...Darlene Zimmerman...More Variety
Beyond the Blocks...Nancy J. Martin...Interesting

I know this may be a little off topic. But, I have always considered books to be tools. If I can read it, I can do it. Pictures with it, even better!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:17 PM

I use parchment paper from the grocery store (used in baking cookies, etc.)on my ironing board when using fusible webs. The pieces come right off the parchment with no residue on the ironing board.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Banned

Thank you for the information, and God bless. Penny
Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 PM

Can also, flip a door back hanging shoe holder around backwards and use hookies to hang templates, cutting mats, yard sticks etc. :) ( might be a good place to hide tools in the front pockets) No Honey, Don't see the tools in my drawer anymore !! HeHe ;)
Old 08-01-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ragann63
My favorite is a battery operated mustache trimmer. If you need to remove a long seam (like recently when I stitched my two backing pieces in different directions...,) you simply turn the trimmer upside down, so it doesn't cut the material and run it along the seam! Took out a ten foot seam in about 60 seconds!! Works great for even the little mistakes. I suggest battery power because it is more portable than electric cord. About 18-20 dollars at any drug store or Walmart.
I think my husband has one of these. Maybe I'll steal it. Reverse of what everyone has been saying.