Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Make do tools >

Make do tools

Make do tools

Old 07-28-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Howard
I use my grandaughter's Caboodle,she used it mostly for her Barbie things. Now it serves a differen t purpose. Also good for crochet hooks, etc.
What's a caboodle??
Old 07-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the tips. I learned a long time ago that anything specifically marked for quilting will be more expensive.. I look everywhere else first for tools.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by kathome
Originally Posted by Howard
I use my grandaughter's Caboodle,she used it mostly for her Barbie things. Now it serves a differen t purpose. Also good for crochet hooks, etc.
What's a caboodle??
It's a plastic case, in this case it is pink. Reminds me of a fishing tackle box and it's about 15in. long and 6 or 8 in high. Has lots of compartments and the top compartment lifts up to expose the bottom section. Something like a sewing box. Clear as mud ? Wish I knew how to post pics. One of these days I'll ask my daughter to help. She's a whiz on computers. Also all the grandkids are proficient on the fandangle computers.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 PM

My hubby took my 5in circular saw to work 6 years ago I haven't seen it since even though I hint every Christmas it still never shows up under the tree either. He borrowed my 5 ft ladder and his boss just threw it away because he wore it out and wouldn't buy a new one for him or me. Now he just bought a big bucks one for him and I guess mine is still at the store. I started making a list of these things. It is on the fridge. When Christmas comes we are going shopping.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:39 AM

Hubby cuts my templates out of plexiglass to. I use a cheap emrey board for sanding. Cheap from the $ store and esy to store. Love this thread to!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:01 AM

I went to a screen and window place and had the gentlemen make all different odd sizes rulers from Plexiglas - round - square - triangle etc. he thought I was nuts his wife asked why was I doing this and I explained that I quilt (beginner) and found that for 1 ruler I could spend big $ - her reaction was funny - she turns to her husband and say honey your "Honey Do" list just got bigger he just shook his head and smiled - but for 12 rulers I paid maybe $22 bucks. Can't beat that - I also had him put a hole on them so that I can store them on a round belt hanger.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 AM

I love to use things from the office supply store. My sewing room has two 2-drawer file cabinets I use for storing books, patterns, magazines, tips, etc., so I have lots of file folders, hanging folders, and dividers. I also use storage containers and other items I purchase at the office supply store. Another idea is the scrapbooking section of the local craft store. I bought several 13" square clear snap-top boxes which are 2" deep--perfect for WIPs.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:20 AM

WM has some plastic pencil ( I think that's what they are suppose to be) boxes in different colors for .69 right now; gearing up for schools opening. I love to use these for storing small items in, like hand scissors, used dryer sheets, and even makeup.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:27 AM

WOW! What wonderful tips.
I have a metal exterior door in my workroom. I use it for hanging things that are magnetic. This can also hold a flannel-backed tablecloth if needed.
At Sam's club you can often get product in storage containers, which makes them free.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:14 AM

My favorite is a battery operated mustache trimmer. If you need to remove a long seam (like recently when I stitched my two backing pieces in different directions...,) you simply turn the trimmer upside down, so it doesn't cut the material and run it along the seam! Took out a ten foot seam in about 60 seconds!! Works great for even the little mistakes. I suggest battery power because it is more portable than electric cord. About 18-20 dollars at any drug store or Walmart.