Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Make a iron on cutting mat >

Make a iron on cutting mat

Make a iron on cutting mat

Old 10-02-2011, 06:42 PM

I love my JT board when I'm paper piecing.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

Maybe the Steady Betty? You can't cut on it but the foam backed table covering found at Lowe's and many fabric stores to cover a thin board seems to work like the Steady Betty when ironing.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
The page you have it linked to goes to a great tidbit about some steel shelves at home depot/lowes. I do believe I am going to look in to those as well. I have been eying them when I have been at the stores lately... That wasn't what I was thinking of but it is a great tip - I am in the market for a cutting table :D
Old 10-03-2011, 03:44 AM

I made a ironing/cutting table using batting, ironing heat
resistint fabric, cotton fabric and string. I cut the batting (2 peices) and iron fabric the same size as an 18 X 24" folding table(Walmart's)Cut fabric about 6" wide and sewed it around the 3 peices added a casing and threaded the string in a caseing and tied it tight. Lay an 18 X 24"
cutting mat on top and there you have one that is great for a side table at your sewing machine!Hope this works for you. Ann
Old 10-03-2011, 04:35 AM

I found what I was looking for... Don't know why I didn't think of it until this morning.. but I started to just go through all of my past messages and I found what I was looking for...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-27376-2.htm#573416
It is floor underlayment. I'm going to call some flooring companies to see if they have a scrap of it.
What I'm thinking is using it for my new, bigger ironing board this way if I need to trim something and iron, I have it right there on hand. I'm also thinking of using it on the table that I cut on so if you over cut you don't cut your table ;)

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I found what I was looking for... Don't know why I didn't think of it until this morning.. but I started to just go through all of my past messages and I found what I was looking for...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-27376-2.htm#573416
It is floor underlayment. I'm going to call some flooring companies to see if they have a scrap of it.
What I'm thinking is using it for my new, bigger ironing board this way if I need to trim something and iron, I have it right there on hand. I'm also thinking of using it on the table that I cut on so if you over cut you don't cut your table ;)

Thanks for your help guys!
Yarn/Fabric ... I looked at that thread. Homosote you would not cut on with a rotary cutter. That is unless you want to ruin your rotary cutter. The poster mentioned using it as a drapery cutting table, though she never said with a rotary cutter. I suspect she was using scissors or sliding a cutting mat in when needed

It is a firm substance, and tends not to warp. I am familiar with it from when my husband had model trains, as that's the table base that many use. It's a paper composition, so it will let you stick pins into it, which of course, we sometimes use!! :) Yes, you could use it for ironing, but I'd think only for spot jobs. And for on an ongoing basis, you would want it covered as you would with any ironing surface.

Because it would accept pins, I considered it for my design wall but not long, as the price was outlandish!!! Of course, perhaps in the USA it is not so?? Instead I went with tentest covered with fleece and screwed the panels onto the wall. It's much easier to put pins into than homosote .... yet with the fleece, I rarely rarely need a pin!

I don't think you're accomplishing anything more with the homosote than you could with plywood or chipboard. You've waited two years, so maybe there was a reason?
Old 10-03-2011, 06:09 AM

QuiltE thanks for the info - I think I'll go with something else. I didn't realize that you couldn't use a rotary cutter on it. I just remember her saying that you could cut on it. They must not use rotary cutters... I don't want to damage my blade.

I don't know how much it costs here... I was planning on using felt for my design wall since I have quite a bit of it already.. if not I'll be using batting of some sort. I'm still in the craft cave planning stage so I'm looking at a bunch of options. It does look like it would make an awesome bulletin board lol.

I appreciate the info :) You saved me a lot of heartache!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 AM

I know that you can take folding dinner trays and convert them into portable tables for ironning but I'm not sure of the stuff to make them ok to cut on unless you could get a cheap mat and glue it to the table. The tables fold up flat so they take little room when not in use; most have a storage stand to hold them