Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Make over-sized and then trim to size vs. no excess trimming >

Make over-sized and then trim to size vs. no excess trimming

Make over-sized and then trim to size vs. no excess trimming

Old 09-24-2014, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

I paper piece units I don't have a Go die for. I get perfect results unless I screw it up along the way.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:58 AM

Over-sizing and trimming down just makes life easier, and we're supposed to be having fun with this, right? Patterns are great but so is venturing out on your own to create something uniquely yours.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

I don't have an accuquilt of any kind and no plans for one so my method is slightly larger and cut down. Yes a tiny bit of waste but then I am sure the blocks are the right size and I don't have to make extra ones.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
For hst's I generally dobthe inch thing and trim. Just about everything else I cut true size.

I always use patterns. Not confident enough in my abilities to do anything other than that and not a fan of scrappy. Just me.

Ditto on HST or use my GO...on most other cuts I will follow measurements given in pattern......but I truly hate those that direct....cut piece ----3/8" or some other off the wall dimension.....why not keep things at easy fractions like 1/2,3/4,1/4.......

I don't try to design patterns....I just follow the instructions of ones I like...changing colors most of the time...why try to design something when someone else has already done a pretty good job of doing that......I guess that's why I have a ton of books and mags.......but have learned much from experimenting with/ doing things in them.....
Old 09-24-2014, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

I prefer to oversize my blocks, press and starch them carefully (I don't pre-wash) then trim them down to perfect size. Most of the quilts I make are strip piecing but if I am using a pattern, I skim over their direction and then do it my way. I notice that most designers don't tell me what direction to press my seams so that they will nest when sewn together.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:14 AM

I make oversized and trim down. I am still awful at anything that involves triangles so that's the only way I can get them to turn out right at all.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:59 AM

I don't like to trim down -- it seems extremely difficult to do accurately, and is so time consuming. I cut fabric to get the exact HST size I want without trimming.

So far I have only worked with patterns (quilting for three years). If I ever get through all the pattern quilts I have planned, I'd like to try designing and piecing in the way of Ruth McDowell. I don't see myself ever creating geometric patterns of my own. I have not had the patience to learn drafting.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I don't have an accuquilt of any kind and no plans for one
That's what a handpiecer, template, scissor only, guild member thought until she used one. Now she has branched out and is hooked on Inklingo. You never know.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:47 AM

I am a trimmer - I use the June Tailor hst qst ruler and it works great. For Geese I use the Deb Tucker Wing Clipper, which is awesome. But on real pieced blocks I don't do any more than just "crumb patrol" along the edges.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:43 AM

I make them oversized and trim. I bought a loc block ruler for HST and my sister is going to try the Loc block for flying geese and if she likes them, I might get those too.