Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a diaper bag >

Making a diaper bag

Making a diaper bag

Old 04-21-2010, 05:41 PM

My daughter has asked me to make a diaper bag - my grandson is due in just two and-a-half weeks, so I dare not waste any time. :) If you have made a bag, I would like suggestions on what type of fabric would be best (decorator fabric, quilter's cotton, denim, twill?) Any other helpful tips on making a bag would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
SuzyB
Old 04-21-2010, 05:52 PM

I would think you could use any of the tote bag patterns for a diaper bag, just add a few more pockets if you wish.

My personal preference for tote bags is to use decorator fabric. Any fabric you choose will work, but the lighter weight ones would need fusible interfacing for sure.

If you are wanting to include a changing mat, you can use a flannel-back vinyl tablecloth for the waterproof lining of that.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

Here is a link to a tutorial for one my daughter made last year for her sister and it turned out great. Looks like it came from an expensive baby boutique
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com/ga...ma-diaper-bag/
Old 04-21-2010, 06:37 PM

Thank you so much! This is a great tutorial - and what a cute bag. I learned a lot just reading through it and viewing the pics. Off to look for fabric tomorrow! Blessings to you for sharing!
Suzy
Old 04-21-2010, 06:44 PM

What a great idea to use the flannel backed vinyl tablecloth. I thought perhaps the decorator fabric would have more stability. I suppose I could quilt cotton fabric, which does give it a little more body. What type of interfacing do you suggest - fleece or very heavy weight interfacing?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

I have been looking at laminated cotton to make a replacement high chair cover for my daughter, but it would probably work great as a diaper bag lining, easy to wipe off. I know my daughter used interfacing for the handle of the one she made, but didn't need it for the body (she used corduroy for the outside and cotton for the inside and it is quite stable, but not stiff)
Old 04-22-2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
Here is a link to a tutorial for one my daughter made last year for her sister and it turned out great. Looks like it came from an expensive baby boutique
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com/ga...ma-diaper-bag/
great link