Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making an ironing surface >

Making an ironing surface

Making an ironing surface

Old 05-15-2020, 05:37 PM

Default Making an ironing surface

We have been using a piece of Lauan wrapped in a pillowcase-style cover for a while, and it has been a great ironing surface. But since it’s wood, and there is steam involved, the wood has warped. Tonight I bought a new piece to replace it, but I started wondering if I could cover it with something heat resistant and water tight to keep it from warping. The only thing that came to me was aluminum foil. I had some heavy duty foil so I have wrapped it up. I double folded the seams and taped them on the back. I think the tape will eventually degrade. Do you think this will do the job? My cover is in the wash so I can’t put it back on right now.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 05-15-2020, 06:54 PM

When it's necessary to use the countertop I put a towel directly on it. Works good, great ironing surface, and there's no damage. My main ironing board is 1 1/4" plywood with a "formica" laminate, covered with a bath towel. I love the performance.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:10 PM

I have read about something similar. Only difference is batting(W&N?) on top of the tin foil then the cover.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:28 PM

I use a layer of batting and one layer of the silver fabric for ironing boards. I like to use 3/8 inch plywood instead of 1/4 inch.

I just use straight pins to hold the fabric on and don’t staple the fabric. Another good size is 18x18 to iron small projects by the machine. You can add a layer of the cabinet shelf cushion product on the back to keep the board from slipping. The cushion backing will hold the pins in place.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:34 AM

It seems logical and you certainly put a lot of thought in the construction...let us know how you like it once you get your cover on.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:48 AM

I bought a 2 x 4 x .5 piece of plywood, covered it in 2 layers of cotton batting I had laying around and then added the silver heat resistant fabric I had laying around, stapled it to the back side. Then I marked the underside where it would lay over the regular ironing board and added some metal flange type pieces so it won't move around when laying on top of the ironing board. I can take it off easily to press clothes if necessary and then just lay it back on top which is how it is most times. Best investment I ever made and the only thing I had to purchase was the 2' x 4' x .5 plywood from my local Ace Hardware. They have them already cut to size.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:44 AM

I used a piece of melamine board for my ironing board. Covered it with two layers of batting. I’ve had it for several years and haven’t had any problems with it warping yet (fingers crossed!).
Old 05-17-2020, 05:07 AM

I use a piece of 3/4 or 5/8 inch plywood - not a fancy grade and it is pretty rough (about 18x24) - left over from some construction around the house. I covered it with 3 layers of warm and natural then covered it with two layers of muslin. Never had a problem with the steam. I have used the same piece of wood for over 5 years now. I rip off the old muslin and put a new fresh piece of muslin on it about once a year.