Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a large ironing board >

Making a large ironing board

Making a large ironing board

Old 07-31-2010, 01:54 PM

I already typed up the directions in my first post here... I could copy and paste it and put it up over there I suppose.. It's really easy peasy to make - and can be made in any size.

Maybe if someone makes one they can take pics along the way? I didn't think to take pictures of the process... but I think the directions I wrote up before might do the trick.

I'll put it up over there right now ;)
Old 07-31-2010, 02:07 PM

Thanks! I just showed DH your pics and he said he would help me!!!!! It will have to wait until we get back from our trip overseas though!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:35 AM

Somewhere on the board, a quilter was showing pictures of her beautiful huge basement sewing area. There she had an ironing table that had a shelf underneath for storage. I dream about having that ironing station, lol... or at least visiting it!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:47 AM

It may have been mine. I purchased an unfinished kitchen island on wheels from a local discount store. I then made myself an ironing surface from a sheet of plywood, cut for free at Lowes. I covered it with the silver heat proof fabric from Joanns plus a layer of batting and a white cotton sheet. It is just the right height, more than large enough and the drawer and shelves underneath are great.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:51 AM

I have two actually..that I made. One I never put away. it is actually a table. I got some telescoping legs from Ikea and put a melamine top on it I had cut at Home Depot. Underneath are those wire cubes with plastic bins in it. I have recovered it several times. You can use any nice light cotton (including muslin), cotton duck or that ironing board fabric. You will hear pros and cons on all those! (typical quilters...:-D )Here is the picture of the table one. (this has not been covered in the picture, but had cotton and now ironing board fabric. I don't really have a preference on the fabric..just LOVE a large ironing surface!)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-89330.jpe  
Old 08-01-2010, 07:21 AM

Sharon Schamber has a free video on her webpage. I made one and love it (24" x 48"). I just placed it on top of a portable table and it's very sturdy. I think I will go back and make a smaller one to place to right of sewing machine.

www.sharonschambernetwork.com
Old 08-01-2010, 07:27 AM

This is one thing I have as a direct result of this forum!
My DH looked at the pictures, then made me one. It's not too heavy and best of all - the edges are parallel. No more narrow end where the fabric doesn't get pressed well.

Here's a link to some more discussion and pictures about making an ironing board topper.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-22654-1.htm
Old 08-01-2010, 07:29 AM

Stupid question I know, but, how thick is the plywood you used?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:28 AM

NOT a stupid question! I think you need to know how sturdy the legs you want to use are. I have use MDF but I picked one that was too flexible and was sorry. I have also used Melamine..but it gets wet from the moisture the iron picks out of the air. Pick one that will not flex in the dimensions you want. (I can just see it now...lots of quilters in the plywood aisle of the home improvement store..trying to flex the plywood! lolol)
Old 08-01-2010, 10:37 AM

I didn't measure mine as it was plywood I had on hand but I'm going to say it was either 1/2" or 5/8". 3/4" would be great but also heavier. HTH