Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making my own quilt kits

Blog Entries

Making my own quilt kits

I have been reorganizing reorganizing my stash and have found so many fabrics I had forgotten I had. I have a few kits I have put together but I am going to make up several with pattern I would like to do soon. Hoping this will help keep me out of the fabric store. Do any of you do this? How does it work for you.

Blog Entries
    I have decided to try to do this too. And if I don't get to stitching them, I'll take them to my quilt guild and they can be worked on for charity quilts. I think it's a great way to get rid of fabric that's been around for a long time.
    JudyG

I do..not always with a pattern, but i do put groups of fabric together along with either a pattern or sometimes just scribbled ideas. Often i will later find a pattern that works. I like doing this and it works for me. Give it a try!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have several of these kits put together for when the mood strikes me.

Love the idea!! In a zip Loc with the size on the bag, and the pattern inside..I have tons of ideas marked in magazines that I could begin with`

Great idea, I don't have enough fabrics in my stash to combine to make kits but I think it is a great idea. Some ladies at my guild work together and pre cut and build kits for charity quilts, then they leave the kits for others to take home and sew. I always take one home as I dont have a lot of time to quilt. It works great and with the kit ready the quilt goes very fast. You can work on putting toghether some one week and sew when it pleases you.
    :-( I wish I was a full time quilter!
    Andrea (Margate, FL)

I keep a bag of strips near the machine. I usually put a few together till I can figure out what I really want to work on. When I rearrange my fabric I also get ideas on what to put together. Hugs

Just trying to organize my stash keeps me out of the shops.

I have quilt kits I've put together, along with sewing project kits made up for the grandkids when they want to sew. Also have been cutting strips for my own jelly rolls. I like to be able to pick up something and start working with it right away without hitting the fabric shop.

I will gather the fabric and pattern ideas for quilts, but every once in a while I find myself raiding that for a different idea. Nothing is safe til its sewn, even cut may get taken.

I picked up the idea from Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville: she kits "leaders&enders" to make small blocks like bow ties, spools and such to keep by your machine. I've done a shoe box full of bow ties, time to start joining those together. M y stast is not big enough for anything large, nor is my patience.
    Last edited by hevemi; 05-14-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: misspelling

If I get the fabrics for a quilt with a pattern in mind, I keep them together in a plastic shoe box with the pattern. So I guess you could say I make my own kits.

Blog Entries
    I have a shelf in one of my bookcases with "kits" made up, all the fabrics I will use and the pattern. That way I am never without a project set to go!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

HHMM..kits with uncut fabric..that coulld be the way to go..just in case you change your mind on pattern, fabric, or color etc before the quilt gets made...sounds like a plan to me!

Blog Entries
    A lot of my 'projects' are in 2 and 2 1/2 gallon zip bags from Dollar Store. Not as bulky as plastic boxes. Place these, according to type, in boxes to stack easier. Clear as mud?

I hve a shelve lined with pizza boxes that have labels bearing pattern name..and fabric cut ready to sew..keeps me busy sometime when I just want to sew..also I use scrapes this way..for scrape quilts..Makes me look so organized...yet right. Keep sewing girls!

I have a cubbie shelve and in each is a basket of fabric and pattern of my " I want to do one day" quilt projects. I have several ideas I want but still collecting fabrics for some. Some I bought everything for and it is waiting for it's turn on the to do list. Currently, I have nine projects in the works and about 5 in the cubbie.

I do make up the quilt kits when I buy a pattern I know I want to make right away. I even try and put the backing in there too. I keep them separate from the rest of the fabrics so I don't use it for something else. I have made the mistake of grabbing a piece for another project and then I can't find a good alternative when I go to make the quilt. Live and learn, I guess. Then sometimes I can't find one or two of the fabrics for a while so they sit there. (I don't like this part.) When the batting is on sale, I buy all the ones I have planned. Everything right there... love that.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I've not done this but sounds like a great idea to me. Thanks for the tip.

I make up kits to take when we RV travel, it's easier than trying to cut patterns on the small kitchen table in the RV. Takes up less space also.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

I precut my fabrics and place them with the pattern in zip lock bags. Then when we travel to Arizona for the winter, I just grab a few of my kits and I am set to sew for the winter. Much easier to cut the patterns in the comfort of my sewing room than in the trailer. Works like a charm and decreases the stash each year also. that helps for the new fabrics I purchase when visiting quilt shops on our travels.

That method wouldn't work for me at all. Pulling fabrics and setting them aside somewhere (hidden out of sight in pizza boxes, sealed in plastic bags where they can't breathe...gasp!...or just removed from the general fabric population) for who knows how long, would frustrate me no end.

It puts fabrics 'off limits' for other uses, eliminates choices from consideration in the building of other quilts, and possibly creates a need to shop for very similar fabrics for a quilt I want to make 'this very minute'. I quilt for today, not someday. I've seen far too many 'somedays' never arrive for far too many people so I choose to live, or at least to quilt, in the the here and now. Nope wouldn't work for me at all.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Yes, I do do this. Especially if I have purchased fabric that coordinates, I make sure I keep them together. I have a bin that holds " cooridnated projects" and each project has its fabric and pattern in a zip lock bag. I have to admit that I've taken some fabric out in a pinch, but I try not to.

When fabrics are stored by color, I have big problems "seeing" a quilt and coordinating fabrics becomes a bit of a chore. I store most of my larger pieces on clothes hangers (a la Leah Day) in a closet in a "this goes with this and this" arrangement. This way, many of them are already matched up when I choose a pattern to make. I have a couple of small stacks on a shelf of anything a yard or less, easy to go through when I need to. Because I don't have a huge stash, this works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
    I have been reorganizing reorganizing my stash and have found so many fabrics I had forgotten I had. I have a few kits I have put together but I am going to make up several with pattern I would like to do soon. Hoping this will help keep me out of the fabric store. Do any of you do this? How does it work for you.
    LOL, there's always something to buy! As in the newest Hancock's and CT catalogues. I do put stuff in bunches though. God bless big zip lock bags.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast