Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Making a pillow case out of leftover blocks

Making a pillow case out of leftover blocks

I'm trying to make a pillow case out of leftover blocks. Will it work out ok if I just line it with muslin or do I have to use batting? I don't really want the thickness. Could I just sew the lining into the pillowcase?

My main concern would be the seams against my cheeks. Maybe you could do a patchwork border. You would def need to line it to keep the seams from fraying during laundering. JMO

If you are making a sham, make it like a small quilt and have a back piece of fabric for the back of the sham. I have never seen a pieced pillowcase, maybe you will start a new trend. I would probably back the piecing with interfacing and not use batting. It would look pretty along the edges.

RST
    Blog Entries
    I often make pillow cases or shams to use up my scraps and match a quilt. If you don't want bulk, but would like a little more stability, you could use flannel instead of batting. The issue is not just the raw edges of the seams on the inside of the pillow case -- it's also wear and tear along all of your pieced seams. Quilting stabilizes and strengthens the finished piece so that you don't have a lot of stresses on all those seams.

Whatever you decide to do -- do share photos. I always love to see how other quilters approach a project.

I'm thinking of this as more decorative than practical (use as a pillow), but I don't want the blocks to unravel inside the case. Maybe I should just quilt the liner to the blocks? I try washing up some flannel and see how thick it is with the liner.

Quilting the liner to he blocks sounds like a plan to me. It would be more finished and stable.
    ​Dorothy

Quote Originally Posted by dfelker View Post
    Quilting the liner to he blocks sounds like a plan to me. It would be more finished and stable.
    If I do that, how far apart do you think I can get away with quilting it?

I'm kind of a heavy quilter and like alot of stitching but it would depend on the pattern/style of quilting you are doing.
    ​Dorothy

I have only used pieced blocks in the cuff of a pillowcase. I didn't have enough of the rocket ship fabric so I PP this rocket in the same colors as used in the quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I made a pillowcase out of flannel scraps. My DGD "loves" it. I didn't quilt it and I didn't add batting. It has held up for 2 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 05-20-2015 at 12:05 PM.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    I made a pillowcase out of flannel scraps. My DGD "loves" it. I didn't quilt it and I didn't add batting. It has held up for 2 years.
    It looks lovely! Did you line it or throw caution to the wind?

Blog Entries
    Caution was probably was flying in the wind. My DGD has remarked how soft it feels on her skin. I was a little concerned about how the seams would feel but apparently it makes no difference.

I also made her rice bags out of the same scraps. Just before bed she requests to warm her rice bags and then happily hops into bed to snuggle up and fall asleep. It is a ritual even in summer.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  67.1 KBDone. I just quilted the lining and blocks together. Usually, I do French seams, but I thought it was too thick. I'm glad I didn't use batting. I think it would be too heavy.

Super cute! What does the quilt look like? LOL. I bet it is super cute too! I always make a "regular" pillowcase to give with a quilt. I usually fold the quilt up nicely and stick it inside the pillowcase. But I like this idea better. It would use up the scraps from the quilt and I wouldn't have to buy that extra yard for a pillowcase. Thanks for the great idea!

If I were going to do this, and I think it is a good idea, I would make one side plain and one side with left over blocks. That way if there were a problem with the seams, you could turn the pillow over. Just a thought.

Blog Entries
    Oh my, such wonderful examples and personal experiences. I love them all. I am primarily a scrappy quilter, I don't carry a lot of yardage. So thanks for showing me, that I CAN use up those pieces!

ManicQuilter, how clever of you to piece that rocket! I love it, it looks as if it was meant to be there. Some little guy is just going to love it also.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

The blocks are on both sides and size-wise they worked out perfectly since they're 5" (finished) blocks. The quilt is the same as the pillow case: hour glass floating on white border with candy cane binding.

RST
    Blog Entries
    There's an excellent pragmatic reason for making pillow cases to match a gifted quilt -- if sometime down the road there is damage or an accident to the quilt, you have a source of matched and equally aged fabrics to use for a repair.

Quote Originally Posted by RST View Post
    There's an excellent pragmatic reason for making pillow cases to match a gifted quilt -- if sometime down the road there is damage or an accident to the quilt, you have a source of matched and equally aged fabrics to use for a repair.
    I hadn't thought of that, RST, but you're absolutely right. What a great idea!

Blog Entries
    Shelley, your pillowcase turned out so cute. Great job.

Linda