Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a scrap quilt - question >

Making a scrap quilt - question

Making a scrap quilt - question

Old 06-04-2011, 04:55 AM

paper bag quilts are my favorite just reach in and sew people always tell the quilts are beautiful i make scrap quilts all the time
Old 06-04-2011, 04:59 AM

It depends on my mood. Sometimes I just grab whatever. Some quilts I separate my scraps into light medium and dark piles and them grab from each pile randomly.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:08 AM

Here is a picture of a scrap quilt that all my friends RAVE over--me not so much. It includes many scraps given to me by quilting friends.
I did not use any batting as I wanted it for a summer quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206431.jpe  
Old 06-04-2011, 05:16 AM
Banned

I tend to organize my scraps by color to start. Then when I'm making a block, for instance say the blocks are two colors, red and white, I would use random reds which can be all different fabrics, the background can be various shades of white and small white on white prints. That way it is scrappy, but still planned... hope that helps.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301
Here is a picture of a scrap quilt that all my friends RAVE over--me not so much. It includes many scraps given to me by quilting friends.
I did not use any batting as I wanted it for a summer quilt.
Love it!!!! For me I like fast and mindless. Just the way I am, can't bother to do anything too fussy.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:33 AM

I am just finishing a scrappy quilt that was a planned scrappy. I bought fabrics in different shades of purple. The colors range from light to dark purple. I used some batiks and they even had a little pale green and some burgandy in them. It is beautiful.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:32 AM

Scrappy quilts are what I learned to do. We never purchased fabric for quilts, except the backing. My Mother would take out the bag of scraps, have me iron all of them, stack nicely so as not to wrinkle, get the cardboard square, draw around the square for pattern. Stack the blocks very carefully, light & dark.
Now the most important rule was to either have the light or dark block always on the top or bottom as you stitch. Have to remember as you chain sew them. We did not have electricity until about 1943 so I learned to sew on Mom's treadle Singer. (wish I still had it!)
Just have the same light or dark value on the top or bottom, when you sew each step. That way you are always contrasting the value as you construct your quilt and no 2 same blocks together.
Try it, it really works.
Phyllis
82 yrs in Oregon
70 years quilting
Old 06-04-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
Go to www.quiltville.com and you will get lots of ideas. I have use bonnie Hunters idesa for several of my scrappy quilts.
Ditto here...I love Bonnie's use of colors and scraps! I've done 3 or 4 of hers already. The patterns are free, and most of all, fun!
Old 06-04-2011, 06:43 AM

Since I don't have a design wall, I put my blocks or scraps on the (clean)floor/rug to get an idea of colors/blocks to put together. I will pin two or more pieces of scraps together so I know I want these colors to work together. I love those scrappy quilts. I see my blouses/dresses left over scraps where I keep these to make quilts. Brings back memories of those good times. My grandmother did this with worn out cloths that still had good parts of material from aunt/uncle, brothers/sisters cloths along with scraps left over. I think of those as memory quilts.
IdahoSandy
Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 AM

I heard it said once that any 7 fabrics may not work well together but absolutely any 30 do. I just grab and cut randomly from my stash and it all works out. My only rule (and this is mine; you don't have to follow it) is that I never let two pieces of the same fabric touch.