Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Making a String Quilt

Blog Entries

Making a String Quilt

I have bags full of 2 1/2 in strips saved to make a string quilt. Now I wonder if all the same width will work, or shall I trim them to different widths to make it more 'stringy' looking? What do you think?
    rvsfan
    A Ricky Van Shelton fan

Jenny Doan has a couple of tutorials on string quilts and she uses all 2 1/2" strips in one and scraps of different widths on the others. Just search for String quilt with Jenny and they will pop up for you.

I usually think of strings as being between 3/4" and 2". Strips 2" and above I save as strips, not strings. So if I were starting out with your strips, I'd cut them down to various sizes for variety (or stringiness, LOL).
    Lisa

Power Poster
    ​I am using whatever strings and scraps I have for the Boxes Of Strings scrap quilt top.

I think for a more scrappy string quilt it would look more scrappy if the strips were of various sizes and various fabrics.

I use anything from 1" - 2-1/2" for string quilts. Sometimes I cut the 2-1/2" strips to 2". I'm not wild about the big strip.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

If you have so many 2.5" strips, maybe you should look into jelly roll patterns.

On my first string quilt, I had the same question. I just made one string block (I used a 10" square base) with the 2 1/2" strips and found I didn't like it. Made another out of strings of various widths and liked it much better. So I suggest just sew one block and see how you feel about it. And if you decide to cut your 2 1/2 strips up, I didn't measure the widths, just folded and cut. sometimes 2 strips, sometimes 3. I really like the narrower strings best.

I've made several string quilts and, like the previous posters, found that 2.5" was just too wide for my 8" bases and I preferred the look of 1" - 2" strips.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I prefer my strips to be different widths. Some 1 1/2" at one end and 2 1/2" at the other end. This is one block I definitely want scrappy with no seams meeting. More fun for me. Just cut and sew.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

It really seems to be a matter of personal preference. I like 1 1/2” strips for my string quilts. :-)

If all your strips are 2.5 inches, you can make one like Jenny does.
    My strip quilts are made with any width, from 3/4 inch to 2.5 inch. When I am sewing strips to a foundation on the bias, I found that when I get near a corner, I would really like a larger piece so that the seam is not so close to the corner. I dug into my scraps and found triangles that were cut off other projects, and they were perfect to put on as the last piece in the corner. That makes a really cute pattern when four of these corners end up together.

I really like the Amazing Jelly Roll Quilt by Three Dudes. You sew strips together into large squares, then cut them on the bias both ways. A lot less waste, so easy, and they look fantastic. And you can use strips of any size for these, too.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Ummmm...would someone please define a string quilt for me? I keep hearing about them, but I am not sure what makes a string quilt versus not a string quilt. Thanks!
    “That which does not kill you has made a grave tactical error”

A "string quilt" is, to me, just another way of using scraps--even if they are narrow. There is no denigration in making a string quilt, just a great way of using up those last bits of your scraps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    If you have so many 2.5" strips, maybe you should look into jelly roll patterns.
    I agree. I use 3/4" to 1 1/2 for string quilts. but if you have gigantic blocks, 2.5 would work...but I would cut them in half. (ouch)