Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a t shirt quilt without fusible interfacing >

Making a t shirt quilt without fusible interfacing

Making a t shirt quilt without fusible interfacing

Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Jim

I always back mine with fusible and I have made many...we wouldnt long arm one that wasn't..just not worth the hassle to do it
Old 09-20-2011, 02:30 AM

Yes it's her method. I bought her book and like her idea very much. But I got scared to try it. I think if you put a cotton temporary binding on it for a long armer it should work out. I think it will not stay completely even and square though..that wasn't a huge deal for me.

Incidentally, I finished my top which I can post a picture of, but I did use interfacing.I used French fusible on my race shirts which is good but When I did my baby quilt I used featherweight Pelion from joanns and I really like that cause it seems light and soft. I am going to buy a long arm so I won't have a finished product till at least November and then plan to experiment without the interfacing, cause I love to make them but would prefer not to have the extra step.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:44 AM

I also used the Pellon...loved it..I just ironed a large pice over the front of the shirt and then cut out my sq which was 16 1/2x 16 1/2...SEW EASY.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:52 AM

"I am a long arm quilter who has quilted many of these quilts. I love when my customers use fusible interfacing on the back of the shirts. It really makes them lay nice and flat. It really isn't that expensive and only takes a few minutes per shirt to prepare." CAN YOU HELP ME?

I am trying to quilt my first tshirt quilt on my longarm. I have a Tin Lizzie Queen Quilter (just fyi). Can you give me any tips to keep it from shifting around? I saw where someone said they added a border all the way around and I figure I will do that. What else can I do to assure it is smooth and doesn't pucker? Perhaps moving my foot up some. As I write this, I think maybe that would help since the thickness is considerably more than I usually quilt. I did a sample square and it just seems harder to keep still and I'm afraid it is going to bunch up. It's thicker than I would like as the lady I'm quilting it for wants fleece on the back and then still wants batting. I tried a bit without batting, but the fleece is peaking through the stitches if I go that route. I would LOVE and greatly appreciate any pointers. Thanks. Please advise me....
Old 10-30-2011, 08:31 PM

Hi

I'm sorry, I didn't see your post and unfortunately I don't have my long arm yet so I don't personally have any experience with this situation. I think you may need to use your free hand to smooth out and try to keep the sections in place while you quilt. Sorry I cant help:(