Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
making table 'cutting' height >

making table 'cutting' height

making table 'cutting' height

Old 10-13-2011, 06:08 PM

i am not sure if i can explain it the right way but here it goes. i have four pieces of pvc pipe ( i use a round three or four inch pipe ) about 6 inches long that is the length that i need to bring my table up to the length that i need to cut my fabric on. i have end caps put on one end of each pvc pipe. i glued my on so that they stay in place. now the pvc pipe is about 7 inches long. i put each pipe on one end of the leg of the table. and it will bring the table up 7 inches. that is a good cutting height that i need. if your shorter than i am at 5 foot 7 you can make you legs longer or shorter. what ever you need. it works great on the normal table legs on a standard table that is 6 to 8 foot long. i hope that this helps. sorry no pic. blessings ogama
Old 10-13-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by frarose
WalMart sells them for around $8 also.
This is what I use not for my cutting table (it's already the perfect height), but for my portable sewing table that my BSPro sits on..
Old 10-14-2011, 05:16 AM

Do you put the table leg onto the capped end (some aren't flat) or does it slide down into the open end.

Anyway to see a pic??
Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by ogama
i also use a pvc pipe with a cap on one end and just run it up the fot of the table and it will work fine. you can have any hieghtth you need. and it comes off when done. blessings ogama
The quilt camp I go to in West Virginia uses the PVC pipe trick too. I'm so short though that it usually makes the cutting area too high for me and I either cut by my machine or temporarily move one of the cutting mats to one of the instruction/layout tables. :-).
Old 10-14-2011, 05:37 AM

My husband crafted the best set of risers for me. I am taking them to a Frieda Anderson dye class tomorrow. EACH leg has two PVC pipes that fit into each other. The one on the outside is bigger (obviously) and had a nice rounded bottom put on the end that goes to the floor.

The inside one is smaller and drops in the bigger one. It is not as tall as the outside one. Just cut on each end, no caps. The leg slides down in the bigger tube until it touches and rides on the top of the smaller one.
Add 3-4 in to best height (see below) to allow for variance in table height
Cost: less that $10.00 to make enough for 2 tables - 8 legs.

For height for YOUR table, put your arms, with bent elbows out and palms down. This 45 degree angle straight out from you while you stand upright is your best height.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mommamac
Our quilt group meets in a conference room at local school. Yesterday our project involved lots of cutting and tables were 'backbreakers'. One quilter had the clever idea of raising the tables by putting a large coffee can under each leg. Instant relief!!
bed risers and even PVC pipe works!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:23 AM

My problem is the opposite. Being short my cuting table and sewing cabinet are to tall.
I have a 6 inch stepstool for the cutting table and use an office chair with a lift for my sewing table.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:20 AM

Yeah, I'm cheap, so I use old coffee cans, and my back is very grateful for them. They add about six inches and look like this.

Dorothy in PA
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271586.jpe