Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • making templates/stamps >
  • making templates/stamps

• making templates/stamps

Old 09-06-2019, 03:55 AM

Default making templates/stamps

I always make cardboard templates but I was wondering if it's possible to make stamps of them and more importantly, can I make them myself and how. Can I find a tutorial somewhere? Thanks for reading.
    Old 09-06-2019, 05:04 AM
    Power Poster

Are you making templates to piece with or templates for quilting designs? Need more information.
    Old 09-06-2019, 05:04 AM
    Power Poster

There use to be stamps of basic quilt shapes back in the 80's. To make your own stamps of the shapes you want check the scrapbooking sites and especially youtube.
    Old 09-06-2019, 05:53 AM

I use the templates to draw the patches. I'm not using a ruler.
    Old 09-06-2019, 06:30 AM
    Power Poster

Inklingo has some shapes for certain patterns. When I used to make geometric shapes templates, I would use a ruler on 1/4 inch graph paper and draw out my shape. When may graph paper shapes was good, I would glue it to cardboard and cut out the shape following the graph paper lines.
    If you post which pattern you want to piece, someone may know a source for it.
    Old 09-06-2019, 06:46 AM
    Power Poster

You might consider using plastic from lids instead of cardboard for your templates.

Are you thinking about something like a cooky cutter for stamping the shapes?
    Old 09-06-2019, 06:53 AM

Sure, there are lots of ways to make stamps. Do a google on "how to make stamps". As Onebyone mentioned, quilting with stamps in various ways was used when the craze on stamping was going on.

While I don't make stamps, I do make a lot of templates and want I call "snubs" that is a piece that I trim off as opposed to the template making a piece. I have vision issues and can have a hard time seeing the lines on rulers so I make the templates and snubs instead, only have to see well once. I usually have pieces of thin cardboard, like the ones fat quarters are sometimes wrapped around. I do a lot with the clear grid plastic so I can see the fabric beneath to fussy cut.

It sounds to me like you want to take some of the repetitive stuff out. If you don't care where the pattern of the fabric is, you can always make copies at the office supply store (if you don't have another copier option) and simply cut through it. I do a surprising amount of "quilting" at the copier, enlarging or reducing, mirror image, multiple copies.

I figured out before there were rotary cutters that a desk blotter (hard to find these days) was 22" wide (so half a width of fabric) and you could get pads of graph paper for them. I'd draw out my grids/triangles and could cut through 6 layers with my big old scissors.

This website is one of my bookmarks, it has grids for all sorts of things, hexes, tumbling blocks, diamonds...
    https://www.incompetech.com/graphpaper/
    I use it quite often, especially when I'm working on my quilting designs.
    Old 09-06-2019, 07:04 AM

I have made both paper piecing and templates on rubber stamps. It took a long time to insure my lines were exact and perfectly clear before a matrix could be made for the molds to be poured. Once a successful mold is made it can be poured as many times as you like. At one time I sold my rubber stamps but health got in the way of business and I closed up shop . here are a few of my rubber stamps. It is not difficult to have done and they will work forever. These 3 are for paper piecing the design you see. Templates were in various sizes and shape for countless reuses.
    Attached Thumbnails rubber-stamps.jpg  

Last edited by juliasb; 09-06-2019 at 07:06 AM.
    Old 09-07-2019, 05:02 AM

thanks for the information. I think I'll keep drawing the way I'm used to, slow but sufficient.
    Old 09-07-2019, 05:25 AM

welcome to the quilting board!