Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making your own colorfast printing sheets??? >

Making your own colorfast printing sheets???

Making your own colorfast printing sheets???

Old 12-14-2019, 09:40 PM

I've only ever used Retayne and Synthropol when making my own sheets. I haven't made any in a while so don't have any suggestions.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:17 AM

I have used the Bubble Jet/Bubble Jet Set combo with varying results. I have also used the Printed Treasures sheets and (at the moment) they are my preferred method.

But... a factor to also consider here as much as anything else is what your printer ink is actually made of. Even though i pre-treated the fabric as directed when i used the Bubble Jet method i did have different (and better) results between using my older Epson printer and my newer one with the “durabrite” inks. The color-fastness of the prints made with the new inks available is superior. I also tested the premade sheets between the old/new printer and found similar results.

Just some food for thought to consider any of the known variables. I have also noticed that using liquid fabric softener in the rinse when washing the finished quilt tended to fade the older composition ink noticeably. That was disheartening... but im glad that i found that out on a tablerunner instead of a bigger quilt! I used the old printer for a label on the tablerunner just to document maker/year, etc for my own items. We dont have the old printer anymore so no longer an issue!

I have also heard of varying results in consideration of whether you have a water softener (or not) or other factors associated with household water.

All things to think about, but sometimes too much to think about! And further down the road, it can all look great once it leaves you but there are a lot of things you just plain cant control at the destination! So i just do my best and try real hard not to obsess about what i have no control over!!! For awhile that was really hard 😊
Old 12-15-2019, 06:23 AM

Forgot to add (i know i get wordy, but try to be detailed) - that i do try include a little a little “non-preachy” note about “suggested” washing directions, but you cant control compliance, so i just include the note and hope for the best! 😊 i do understand that non-quilters dont often get the angst and urgency of our hopes regarding fabric care!
Old 12-20-2019, 12:39 AM

Having seen what can happen to a beautiful cashmere sweater, I just try to make my quilts as bombproof as possible. I figure if I make them so that they will be able to withstand hot wash and hot dry, they will be able to take anything the recipient dishes out to them.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by suspendedglass View Post
I have a cannon pixma pro 100.It is not a pigment ink but a dye based ink that penetrates the fabric and is supposed to be washable and fade less.
are you sure it isn't the other way 'round?
i thought the pixma series all used pigment based ink.
(i have a pixma pro 9000, which does use pigment based ink.)
when i did some research a million years ago, pigment based was recommended.

bubble jet works well.
the trick to doing your own fabric printing is to find the fabric(s) that will work best with your equipment.

personally, i don't like the [lack of] quality i've seen when it comes to the pre-treated sheets on the market.
wasn't too keen on the after-care instructions, either.
and holy-smoke-expensive, to boot.

confession time ... i am now too lazy to pre-treat my own fabrics for printing.
having Spoonflower do the printing for me probably costs more, but my time and sanity have enough value, so i have decided it's worth it.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:33 AM

Thanks for info. I cannot afford pre treated sheets so I am determined to get the best fabric prints I can . I also prin photos for other. So i am up for a challenge I guess! Thanks, linda
Old 12-20-2019, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
confession time ... i am now too lazy to pre-treat my own fabrics for printing.
having Spoonflower do the printing for me probably costs more, but my time and sanity have enough value, so i have decided it's worth it.
I'm with you on this one!