Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Malicious content in ad? >

Malicious content in ad?

Malicious content in ad?

Old 10-09-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by oh munner
I've had something happen a few times lately that has never happened before. I'll click on to a post and hear a voice say "congratulations, you've just won"....... or "you're a winner".... anybody else experience this?
That happens on any site that allows ads with audio content. It isn't any different from seeing an ad; you're just hearing it, too.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:08 PM

I hate audio ads and flashing/scrolling ads, as well as the popup ads. If I didn't have adblock I wouldn't go to sites that have those. I hate them that much.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:32 PM

I never click on any of the links in the ads or the posts. I'm afraid of viruses.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:38 PM

I don't think these need to be clicked in order to cause the warnings. Just having them on the page is enough. I never click ads, ever. I have clicked links in posts but only after I make sure it's a site I know about.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:26 AM

I have the same problem as Casual Quilter. And, those pop-ups for YP.com and Congratulations! You're a winner! come up to even tho my computer is set up to not allow pop-ups. :(
Old 10-10-2011, 04:35 AM

I click on the ads if they're something I might be interested in. Advertisers aren't interested in giving you a virus, they want to sell you their products. They'd be stupid to have a virus on their sites.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:37 AM

I have had this happen twice. Both times it was when I clicked on a link. A few times when I click on a link, my computer freezes and I have to re-boot. I really have to want to see something to click on a link these days.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 AM

One of the HOTTEST virus' I ever got on my computer (the "shredder" virus) I picked up when I was looking at archived files on an older quilting thread a few years ago. It was just a link I found online one night and kept following it due to some great photos etc ...when ## POW ## my computer blinked...and off it went doing all sorts of evil things. In about 3 min it was TOAST...

When I took it in to have files recovered I asked the service guys WHY someone would hack and fry people looking at OLD QUILT LINKS? He told me that it had little to do with WHERE I was at the moment I got nuked. NO ONE ever intentionally has virus' lurking around their website. There are thousands of hacker triggers (for lack of a better term) floating around the internet that are set up to set off a virus attack on your computer. So.. something on that website tripped your antivirus program into warning you. Could be as simple as a cookie trying to attach it's self to your system (depends on how high you have your security settings).

I was SUCH A DUMMY I watched the whole thing unfold on my computer screen (complete with cockroaches marching on my screen and gawd awful head banger music playing). The service guy told me had I hit the power switch and turned OFF my system right away it would have interrupted the download. By watching what was happening I allowed the WHOOLEEEEE ENCHILADA to upload to my system and fry me.

Lesson learned. My antivirus program occasionally tosses up the red "bells and whistles" warnings you described and I just quickly *click out* of that screen. Now, on the rare occasion my computer is tossing up things that I don't LIKE seeing...and starts freezing up (ignoring my request to leave the site) I just turn it off from the power strip. I had my husband move my surge protector UP to the desk top so it's EASY to reach in case of an emergency.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:05 AM

Yep - when I am interested in an ad, I now write down the web address and google it. Google tells me if it's okay to go there. Last virus cost me $200, so it's worth the effort to let Google boss me around.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:14 AM

i have never had a problem on the board...hope you can fix the problem!!