Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Managing 40 6-yard fabric pieces - Help! >

Managing 40 6-yard fabric pieces - Help!

Managing 40 6-yard fabric pieces - Help!

Old 06-19-2018, 10:39 AM

I have 2 large closets one of which has double rods. I hang all of my yardage in these grouped by color. It's easy to see what I have. If I'm feeling organized and have time when I hang them, I pin a small piece of paper with the amount on it so I know how much I have without measuring it.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

This lady used "boards" for folding her fabric, but you might be able to adapt her techniques for handling fabric to ruler folding.

Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Vandamme View Post
.........I have used your suggestions of a stiff cardboard folding form (A4) for all my 1-2-3 yard pieces and they're neatly stacked in a shelf, vertically like books. It's AMAZING the difference this has made. It was YOUR suggestion!..........
You know that this has worked already for you, so do the same with your larger fabrics too.
Just change the side of your cardboards and continue on!

As already said, we don't know how wide your fabric is. However, because of the bulk of the yardage, the same sizes are not going to work you. You might want to consider the full depth of the shelf and 1/2 WOF. You're really re-creating the types of boards that bolts of regular fabric are wrapped onto.

Good Luck!
Old 06-19-2018, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
For years I have used the ruler method of folding which requires no added supplies, is totally consistent and fits nicely on most shelves. I use a 6" wide x 24" long ruler.

Open fabric. Most is 40-odd inches wide and folded in half (= 20" wide +/-). Let fabric lay with the uncut end atop a table and the rest over the edge to the floor. Place ruler across the width of the fabric at the uncut end about 2-3" down. Fold over ruler. Hold fold in place and flip ruler over. Now do it again. Repeat to the end of the fabric piece, regardless how long it might be. You now have a folded piece of fabric 6-8" wide x WOF.

If it's even up to 5 yards (think backings), it can be folded in half so now the piece is only about 10-12" long x 6-8" wide. It will stack beautifully with the folded end exposed showing its color, print, etc. By it's very thickness, you can get an idea of about how much you have. If you're really counting inches, count the layers on the other end, divide by two, then times 6" (just to be very conservative; you'll likely have more if it's thick). That's about how many inches are in that folded pack.

This method also exposes the cut end first, so waste is a bit more controlled. Additionally, it keeps all the fabric pretty well flattened out, so after washing, I just get it right out of the dryer, fold in half lengthwise, then ruler fold. Cut off only the length you need and leave the rest folded to go back on the shelf. Now is when you iron what you're going to use.

I stack mine by main color groups with separate piles for stripes and borders, panels, large florals, kits, etc., and label them accordingly. That way, I can tell at a glance if I'm way overstocked on any one item/color or need to beef it up some.

It's a system that has proven itself for me year after year. You might want to consider it.
This is how I folded all my fabrics. It works very well for me.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
This lady used "boards" for folding her fabric, but you might be able to adapt her techniques for handling fabric to ruler folding.

Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)
That's exactly what I want to do! I may not find enough cardboard though. But I'll look! This is exactly how I want to organize my stash! She's awesome, thanks for the link! So helpful.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
For years I have used the ruler method of folding which requires no added supplies, is totally consistent and fits nicely on most shelves. I use a 6" wide x 24" long ruler.

Open fabric. Most is 40-odd inches wide and folded in half (= 20" wide +/-). Let fabric lay with the uncut end atop a table and the rest over the edge to the floor. Place ruler across the width of the fabric at the uncut end about 2-3" down. Fold over ruler. Hold fold in place and flip ruler over. Now do it again. Repeat to the end of the fabric piece, regardless how long it might be. You now have a folded piece of fabric 6-8" wide x WOF.
So I do this, but I fold the fabric in half first, because I can't manage to fold the entire length of the fabric, even though it's 40 inches, I get my feet trapped in it. It's easier for me to fold it in half to about 20" and use the ruler method. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2018, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I have 2 large closets one of which has double rods. I hang all of my yardage in these grouped by color. It's easy to see what I have. If I'm feeling organized and have time when I hang them, I pin a small piece of paper with the amount on it so I know how much I have without measuring it.
That's a cool system!
Old 06-20-2018, 08:44 AM

Oh my I just saw a video on ruler folding and wonder why I never thought of that. LOL I love it and can't wait to get started in my sewing room.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:04 AM

My 1-2 yard cuts of fabric I fold into 1 yard lengths. Then I fold in half to 18", then into thirds. I fold the top down 2/3 way, fold the other half up and secure that inside the 2/3 folded edge. Stack so neat on my shelves.
For larger cuts, 3 yards and over, I prefer "fanning" the folds. 6-7" is face up, the next 6-7" folded the other way, Fold next 6-7" the other way, etc. That way, I can lay the fabric with the long fold to my left and take off the top only what I need. They still stack the same, but each fabric is just a 'taller' stack of fabric.
I have never used the cardboard. When I fold every piece of fabric like this, I have neat folds of fabric every time, all very close in width. The fabric sits in stacks in closed cabinets-5 stacks to a shelf. I don't fret (anymore) if a fabric folded is an inch or so larger than the others on the shelf. I have learned to let that go.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:54 AM

The only fabrics I leave uncut in 6 or more yards are ones I plan to use for backs of quilts. Others store more easily in shorter pieces.