Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Managing my needle's thread question >

Managing my needle's thread question

Managing my needle's thread question

Old 09-12-2015, 09:44 AM

Thread heaven
Old 09-12-2015, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
I was watching a sewing show one time about hand sewing. It may even have been on Alex Anderson's show. But they said when threading a hand sewing needle, thread the needle before you cut the thread off the spool. That way you will ALWAYS thread the needle in the right direction. There is a direction to the way thread is wound, I assume this applies mainly to thread meant for hand quilting. I tried this when trying some needle-turn, and by golly it worked. I have never forgotten that rule
wow who knew !!!!
simple enough to remember !!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:03 AM

Before I knot my ends I hold the needle up and let the thread untangle before I knot it. But I thread my needle in a strange way and never have any problem with twisting. Thread both ends of the thread through the eye and pull both ends through the loop on the other side. This is called a "Lark's Head" Knot the ends and sew.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:22 AM

I always thread my needle with the loose thread then cut off diagonally at 16 inches. If it twists I use some wax or sewers aid run down length twice.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:51 AM

I thread my needle before cutting the thread so I make sure I'm loading it the right way. Also, I find beeswax helps & as others have mentioned, keep it about the length of your hand to your elbow. Finally, I keep an eye on my thread as I'm working. Sometimes when I'm working on a very curvy piece, I will unintentionally twist my needle as I'm shifting the fabric to get a better grip. If I notice that happening, I grab the thread going into the fabric & gently untwist the other end (sometimes just letting it hand down will prod it to untwist itself). That usually only happens when I've chosen a longer piece of thread for some reason.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:07 AM

I use bees wax. It really helps.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:10 PM

I put a drop of "Fray Check" on my index finger, then run the thread through my thumb and finger. It works quite well. It is a good way to stiffen the thread before you try to stick it through the eye of the needle too.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
The twist is the same from either end.
Actually, it's not. Thread is wound directionally. If you load the needle from the end that comes off the spool, then the twist of the thread goes WITH the direction of the pull. If you load it from the other end, then the twist of the thread goes AGAINST the pull - think of it like quills on a porcupine or scales on a fish.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:09 PM

Have you tried beeswax or Thread Heaven?
Old 09-12-2015, 07:37 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
Before I knot my ends I hold the needle up and let the thread untangle before I knot it. But I thread my needle in a strange way and never have any problem with twisting. Thread both ends of the thread through the eye and pull both ends through the loop on the other side. This is called a "Lark's Head" Knot the ends and sew.
Here's a link to making the Lark's Head knot.
http://www.michaels.com/slow-motion-...ml?fdid=videos

For those who are not familiar with thread heaven -- it is sold in a tiny -- about 1 inch square! -- blue box and looks like an opaque hard, jelly-like substance. You place the beginning of your thread on top of the substance, held down with your finger or thumb, and pull the length of the thread across it.

Jan in VA