Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking design onto quilt >

Marking design onto quilt

Marking design onto quilt

Old 01-18-2021, 02:10 PM

Default Marking design onto quilt

I have read several threads on this subject and come across terminology I'm unfamiliar with. You were all a great help with my first question--I'm a novice--so thought maybe you'd help with this. My difficulty is finding something that marks onto dark fabric--even so-called white marking pens don't work well.

What is water soluble stabilizer? Does it work for marking a design on and then stitching through?

What is a pounce pad? Does it involve chalk and, if so, how do you keep the chalk from brushing away before stitching is completed?

I do know about Golden Thread paper and have used it, although I really do wish it were water soluble so that picking the tiny bits out of sharp corners wasn't such a hassle!
Old 01-18-2021, 02:54 PM
Gay

Water soluble stabilizer - Mainly used when one doesn't want a permanent stabilizer left behind, or to hold down the 'fluff' on towels and fleecy fabrics when machine embroidering. It washes out. It would work for what you suggest depending on what you mark with, There are different types. But be careful, don't use felt pens or ink as the stitching will take up the inks and can't be removed.

A pounce pad can just be powdered chalk tied up in a bit of fabric, and dabbed over a stencil to leave the pattern. I have never used one, I'd rather use a sharpened chalk stick.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:02 PM

I have a Fons and Porter marking pen. it actually functions just like a mechanical pencil, but the "pencil lead" pieces are white and mark on dark fabric really well. water will take the marks away.

I have never used a pounce pad, but from what I understand, you would just use it to mark a small area at a time. otherwise, yes, the markings would rub away when the quilt bunches up or whatever.

also, if you are need marking for free motion, such as to make the feather spine or a general line to follow, I have also been known to "quilt" the line but use no thread in the needle/bobbin. this leaves a line of holes for you to use as your guide.

Last edited by LAF2019; 01-18-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:31 PM

You could also try a FriXion heat erasable pen. They come in a large variety of colors and work great.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:21 PM
DJ

A white Chaco Liner Pen Style by Clover should work nicely.
https://www.connectingthreads.com/ch...mpaign=PPCGNBS
Old 01-18-2021, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by deborahscanlon View Post
You could also try a FriXion heat erasable pen. They come in a large variety of colors and work great.
Watch using the Frixion pen. They are heat erasable, but I've heard that the marks come back if the quilt gets cold. Could be a mess.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Watch using the Frixion pen. They are heat erasable, but I've heard that the marks come back if the quilt gets cold. Could be a mess.
Patrice is absolutely right. I have tested pens that are supposed to "disappear with heat" on scap pieces of fabric and the marks DEFINITELY returned when the subjected to cold temperatures. Better to test on a piece of scrap first than to ruin something you've spent a lot of time and money on.

Last edited by BonnieJP; 01-18-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:49 PM

I quilt for others and use the blue water soluble markers for lights(or the purple air erasable) and a Chaco chalk pen or the Fons & Porter ceramic pen(finer line) for the darks. I do sometimes need to use a stencil and loose chalk--I have a pounce pad as some stencils are made so you have to use them (have a net in the spaces) but mostly I use a sponge paintbrush to "paint" on my chalk on the stencil. To keep it from bouncing off, I give it a light coat of cheap (like Aquanet) hair spray. But even then you will find that much handling of the quilt in the quilt process will rub the chalk off. (I never use colored chalk as had a problem with the yellow). Some use UltraClean Washable Crayola Markers but I had a bad experience with them when the customer had starched the fabric and it seems to have set the green marker. I haven't used it, but some say a "sharpened" piece of regular bath soap will work well too.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:33 PM

I would NOT use a Frixion marker. People go back and forth about the marks reappearing in cold temps, and then someone says I don't plan on keeping my quilt in the freezer - the point is, the ink stays in the fabric even after washing. Additionally, the manufacturer says they are not designed for use on fabrics.

I used slivers of white bar soap on a black quilt. It's harmless and will easily wash out.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:13 AM

Thumbs up

Thank you for good ideas. I forgot I have a Fons and Porter marking pen...looks like a mechanical pencil. That is good for solid darks, and makes a thin line. Nothing seems to work well on my dark paisley print! I'll try the sliver of soap idea!