Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
marking pens >

marking pens

marking pens

Old 12-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

I have used blue painter's tape. I start diagonally in the middle of the quilt and work out to one corner. Be sure to keep referring to your first reference line to make sure you are keeping all your marked lines the same width. I then will stitch those lines working my way from the center of the quilt. Then remove the tape and start on the other half of the quilt. You will need to repeat this process three more times.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have used blue painter's tape. I start diagonally in the middle of the quilt and work out to one corner. Be sure to keep referring to your first reference line to make sure you are keeping all your marked lines the same width. I then will stitch those lines working my way from the center of the quilt. Then remove the tape and start on the other half of the quilt. You will need to repeat this process three more times.
Hello ManicQuilter2........if I start at the center and work my way to the corner...don't I just flip it around and do the other half? Why 3 more times.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:15 PM

I think I have a bigger problem..........was I suppose to do the marking before I basted the backing on? I did the thread basting and its only about 2-3 finger widths apart. I was going to SITD at first but decided I want to be a bit more daring. I realize now that nowhere did I read or see anything telling me what order I should do it in. All the videos that showed markings on the quilt sandwiches so I didn't no if it was done before or after it was put together.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:18 PM

Hi quiltingbuddy...........how can you iron the quilt if your using poly batten?
Old 12-27-2014, 02:20 PM

Hi Tartan..............I think chalk may be the way to go. I have never seen a box of chalk like that but I will go searching. Where do you get the sharpener?
Old 01-01-2015, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I have used the blue painters tape, but I find the wider tape sticks better. the narrow tape kept coming off the quilt.. not sure why. My favorite way to mark my quilts now is the Crayola washable markers. Other members on the board have used other brands with success. I buy the fine point markers and love them. They always wash out... but I do pretreat with Dawn dish soap before I wash.
I use the Crayola markers too! Love them! I don't pretreat and have never had any problems washing out!
Old 01-01-2015, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by SoftBlockLady View Post
Hi Tartan..............I think chalk may be the way to go. I have never seen a box of chalk like that but I will go searching. Where do you get the sharpener?
Staples in Windsor should have them, and you can probably get a sharpener in the makeup department at Shoppers.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

I think I got the white chalk at Walmart but any good brand of white chalk will do. I would not use coloured chalk as the dyes in coloured chalk may not come out. The make up sharpener I got fr the make up big lip pencils you sharpen. I wonder if you could find a sharpener with the children's supplies for sharpening the big red HB pencils or maybe the hardware stores for sharpeners for construction pencil?