Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Marking quilts >
  • Marking quilts

• Marking quilts

Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 AM

what do you recommend I use to mark quilting pattern on light fabric in an inner border-so won't show. I do not plan to wash after. thanks
    Old 02-28-2010, 07:47 AM

I have actually used contact paper for the pattern, quilt around it and you can move it and use it over and over. Otherwise I use the wash out pens, but just spray and dab out the color as I go. I don't usually wash my quilts after either. But don't just spray it will reappear.

Try the glad press and seal, my friend uses it all the time.
    You can mark on it, machine quilt trough it and then just pull it away.
    Old 02-28-2010, 07:56 AM

Thanks. Actually I have the stencil and will mark through the openings. The wash out pens are safe-will wash out for sure? That's what I'll do- thanks. I have used that "Pounce" chalk product for darker fabrics. This is a quilt with applique blocks of Nutcrackers that are embellished with button eyes etc. so i don't want to wash until I have to. Thanks again.
    Old 02-28-2010, 08:01 AM

I have never had a problem, I have used them for 20 + years. I don't apply a lot of pressure because the lighter the mark the easier to remove it all the first time. If a little dot of blue shows back up occasionally, just dampen it. I was told just to spray, but I found that alot of time it doesn't get it all.

I have tried the one that disappears, but sometimes it disapears too quick and I like the idea of getting the chemicals off the quilt, with water.
    Originally Posted by iulucy
    Thanks. Actually I have the stencil and will mark through the openings. The wash out pens are safe-will wash out for sure? That's what I'll do- thanks. I have used that "Pounce" chalk product for darker fabrics. This is a quilt with applique blocks of Nutcrackers that are embellished with button eyes etc. so i don't want to wash until I have to. Thanks again.
    Old 02-28-2010, 08:15 AM

Hello: What I use is a pen called (Mark-be gone) one end of the pen is wash out the other end is disapearing ink, thats the end I use for quilting patterns it fades out within 24 hours. I buy it at joanns or walmart. It works great, the blue end is wash out, the purple end is fadeing end. :thumbup: