Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking Tools >

Marking Tools

Marking Tools

Old 01-03-2011, 03:44 PM

The Frixion sounds cool! :) I looked on eBay and there are several different Frixion pens and none of them specified that they were removed by ironing - though one of them (a roller-ball type) says it's removed by friction. Can you put up a link to the right product?

What colors have you used? And have you used them on lots of different colors of fabrics? Do you feel like we're playing 20 questions, yet? :D

I use the Sewline mechanical pencils and I like them a lot but, they don't all come out very easily.

I have the different colored chalks, but those are crazy hard to use and the lines are wayyyyy too thick.

I used the Miracle Stencil stuff for a while, but again, the lines are thick plus, it disappears before you can even finish your design. That was another product that disappears with heat. Great idea, but it didn't work out too well for me in practice.

I bought soapstone pencils but I haven't tried them yet. I'm probably never going to throw away another soap sliver, though. :)
Old 01-03-2011, 03:59 PM

It is the roller ball. It does not say it is removed by ironing but I was told about it & shown it at a fabric store. She purchased her pen at Walgreens & bought some to sell at her fabric store. It is awesome! Try it out!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152861.jpe  
Old 01-03-2011, 04:16 PM

I just use a regular pencil. It washes out. If you make heavier lines it may take a couple of washes.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

I researched the Frixion pens at Amazon -- provides more info about them. The marks are removed with heat but reappear with cold (as in freezer type cold). Someone posted in a different thread (search here on Frixion) that the marks reappear with cold even after the quilt has been washed, which suggests that the chemicals used in the pen stay in the fabric. No one knows if, with time, those chemicals may affect the fabric or the dyes in the fabric. That's why I would hesitate to use them in a quilt I would want to last for a very long time.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Dee

I use the disappearing purple pencil or colore chalk from the kids section.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:36 AM

I should have looked for reviews first - I already ordered some roller pens and highlighter pens. Oh well, you can always use pens around the house if they don't work out for quilt marking. There is never a pen around when you need one, is there?

But anyway, when I read that the ink color comes back, it occurred to me that you could write a message to future generations on the quilt, "I pray that you are never cold enough to read this." :)

I'll try to come up with something wiseacre.

Leave hidden messages for the grandkids and great-grandkids.