Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Martelli Quick Bind System >

Martelli Quick Bind System

Martelli Quick Bind System

Old 02-23-2011, 09:54 PM

Looks good but is way out of my price range.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:57 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I got if for Christmas.. It's Still in the package!!! Well Ive got a quilt to bind guess Ill try it this weekend..
Old 02-23-2011, 10:35 PM

Oh well :( Thank you so much for letting us know! I'll learn to do curves in time :D

Originally Posted by Queen Mary
Originally Posted by Qbee
I have never seen that website but I'm in LOVE! :D
Did you see the special foot for doing circles or curves?
I wonder if that works? Cool stuff!
I bought the circle foot. I tried with three different curves. I always came out with about 1/2 inch of the top fabric left over. I plan to return it.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
I have never seen that website but I'm in LOVE! :D
Did you see the special foot for doing circles or curves?
I wonder if that works? Cool stuff!
I have the Magic curves foot for doing curves. I hate it, it is very time consuming, not very good instructions, and I hate it. OR maybe it is just me, and I am not very good at adapting to new gizmos. With all the time it took trying to use it, I could pin & sew the curves quicker.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:21 AM

I watched the video a couple of times because it looked intriguing. It was expensive so I started reading the reviews and I have to say they were not positive so decided to skip it. The company will send you a free dvd if you ask, they have other products on the dvd also. I do like their rotary cutter
Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 AM

The CurveMaster foot really is the bomb for Drunkard's Path type blocks. And it will take very few of these blocks to catch on - the foot really does a lot of the work for you. I was using a vintage quilting foot to make these until I broke down and bought the CurveMaster - what a difference!

I bought the Zip Bind system, and I've watched the video on the site twice in preparation for using it, but I always get sidetracked and decide to just sew it on and hand stitch like always. The clip that pulls the fabric around to the back and holds it over the seam line on the back of the quilt is the "magic trick" part of this kit.

It can take four evenings to hand sew a binding on a large quilt - but I don't dare put them on by machine because I can't keep the placement consistent and it looks terrible when I'm done. I think it will be wonderful to be able to get the binding finished in just a couple of hours *and* have it look good on the back! :)

Here is the page for watching the company's videos about its tools:
http://www.martellinotions.com/productvideos.asp

There is no charge. The one for the Zip Bind system is almost an hour - it's in the video box at the bottom of the page.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
The CurveMaster foot really is the bomb for Drunkard's Path type blocks. And it will take very few of these blocks to catch on - the foot really does a lot of the work for you. I was using a vintage quilting foot to make these until I broke down and bought the CurveMaster - what a difference!

I bought the Zip Bind system, and I've watched the video on the site twice in preparation for using it, but I always get sidetracked and decide to just sew it on and hand stitch like always. The clip that pulls the fabric around to the back and holds it over the seam line on the back of the quilt is the "magic trick" part of this kit.

It can take four evenings to hand sew a binding on a large quilt - but I don't dare put them on by machine because I can't keep the placement consistent and it looks terrible when I'm done. I think it will be wonderful to be able to get the binding finished in just a couple of hours *and* have it look good on the back! :)

Here is the page for watching the company's videos about its tools:
http://www.martellinotions.com/productvideos.asp

There is no charge. The one for the Zip Bind system is almost an hour - it's in the video box at the bottom of the page.
That's where I am at. I can and do bind by hand with no problems, but I'm looking at whether there is another method that looks just as good and is faster. I've tried the gluing method and it doesn't work for me, neither do some of the other methods, they just don't look nice enough. Maybe on this there are no shortcuts... :(
Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 AM

I've tried gluing, too and Steam-a-Seam tape, but the edge just isn't consistent. When it's wandering around "in the vicinity" of the edge of the binding, it's very noticeable, even if the thread matches the binding.

I can understand how the Zip Bind system works, I just need to practice with it. If it works well, it will be a much more secure method of binding and if you make a lot of quilts for Project Linus or other comfort quilt projects, this thing will be amazing for productivity. :)

I bought a foot for sewing binding and it works beautifully on items that have curved corners - you cannot stop in the corner and re-position because the binding is locked in a fold inside the foot. You have to put curves on the corners and sew right around them. (this means that the binding must be cut on the bias)

It only took a little bit of practice to get that foot working well for me, but I don't want to have to put curves on everything - and the foot also won't handle a quilt with a medium or high loft thickness. It works fine for edging low loft quilts or two layers of fabric, such as you might use for a reversible apron.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 AM

Well, from reading all the comments, I am going to stick to my hand stitching the binding. I actually enjoy that part.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM

I do too, but it's very slow compared to sewing by machine. And if I'm going to be hand sewing, I'd rather be doing some applique. :)