Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Martelli Rotary Cutting things >

Martelli Rotary Cutting things

Martelli Rotary Cutting things

Old 11-01-2011, 04:29 PM

My Martelli mat is awesome. I've had it for years and am still using it. Want a newer one but don't need it yet, just like the thinner lines. I've been through so many other mats it isn't funny.

Unfortunately with my arthritis the cutter won't work.

Interesting to note they do make cutters for right handed folk and left handed folk. There is a difference ... or at least there was one when I last talked to their rep. The springs are different.

ali
Old 11-02-2011, 06:36 AM

I have not heard of them before today's post. Do the blades stay sharper any longer? What makes them so different from the others besides the way they look. Seem kind of expensive unless Joann's carries them and you can use a coupon, but because I have not heard of them before I have not looked for them. They are having a huge sale for Veterans Day so will have to check it out.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:50 AM
QKO

We use Martelli Ergo 60mm rotary cutters for all our shop cutting. Much easier to use, easier to control, and thus more accurate cuts than the long-handled ones.

They'll use any blades, but the Martelli blades seem to last a LOT longer than any other blades we've seen. With daily use and a lot of cutting, we only change them once every 6 months to a year. I also like that they come in left and right hand versions, since we need one of each.

The only weak point on them is that you need to close the blade cover manually, and the spring that holds the blade cover closed comes off easily, but a little preventative maintenance with a needle-nosed pliers fixes that problem.

I really wouldn't use any others.

We haven't used the mats, so no opinion there.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 PM

I use them with my slotted ruler what problem did you have?
Originally Posted by sashie View Post
My friend has one and I use it when I am in CA at her house. I really like it because the blade is covered automatically when not cutting. Only drawback is that I have to switch to the other styles whne using the June Taylor slotted rulers. BTW she is left-handed and I am right-handed and we both use it equally well. Happy Quilting!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:32 PM

I love my Martelli rotary cutter. I have been using it exclusively now for about 10 years or so and wouldn't go back to other cutters. I can cut for hours. I only use their blades too. They seem sharper,last longer and are the best value, in my opinion. When I bought my rotary cutter they had a show special which included the 18 X 24 mat, so I've had it for 10 years too. The mat is getting a bit cut up, but I read a post on QB regarding repairing mats by soaking them in water which I plan to try. Last year I priced the newer mats by Martelli and they had more than doubled in price, so I didn't get a new one.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by DeneK View Post
Do the cutters take special blades? I am also considering the Martelli rotary cutter and mat as a Christmas present request. I believe they are headquartered in Panama City (or near there). Not too far from me. I was going to see if they have a store there Or if it would be possible to go there to actually try out the items before I buy them. Any idea if that is possible?
They have a shop in Pensacola, Fl...that should be closer for you. I have their cutter (love it), mat (takes some getting used to, but nice), the ruler (I use only for strip cutting as I like to see through my ruler, but it doesn't slip, so makes cutting strips very accurate), & just bought the new fussy-cutting frame set. They stand behind their products very well. I would dearly love to have their sit-down quilter, just can't right now. Take a drive to Pensacola, they have lots to see of their products, and also give you demonstrations on the different things. They are also a Janome dealer.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:14 AM

Take a look at olfadeals.com
Old 11-11-2011, 06:57 AM

I have the rotary cutter and it is my favorite of all the ones I have. If you go to Overstock.com you will find the cutter for around $19. That is where I got mine.