Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Martelli Rotary Cutting things

Are the Martelli cutting board and rotary cutters worth the money? I would like to put them on my Christmas list, but I don't want them just because they are nice- I want the to really make a difference that I will rave about!

Also does the ruler work on other cutting boards or just the one they sell?

My husband & I went to a woodworking show last weekend - big mistake...I don't think he would have spent so much money if I wasn't with him, but we have a lot less for retirement now! So, fair is fair...I wasn't going to "wish" for the Martelli products, but maybe I will! :mrgreen: :x :lol:

I have the cutter and love it!! I have shoulder issues and the Martelli cutter is so much easier on the shoulders.

I have not used their rulers or mats. I would like to get one of their mats sometime, it looks like a really nice mat!

I also have the rotary cutter and love it. You have to change your mindset on how to cut because it takes such a light touch and cuts like a knife through hot butter.

My Mom and I both bought the Martelli cutter , she loves hers ... I must be the only person on the planet that it agrivated my carpel tunnel. So now my Mom has two.

Blog Entries
    I love my rotary cutter and don't use any others anymore. Didn't even know they made a mat.

Blog Entries
    Love mine.

Do the cutters take special blades? I am also considering the Martelli rotary cutter and mat as a Christmas present request. I believe they are headquartered in Panama City (or near there). Not too far from me. I was going to see if they have a store there Or if it would be possible to go there to actually try out the items before I buy them. Any idea if that is possible?

I had to look up the thingys to see what you were talking about. Interesting. They have left handed ones too.

http://www.martellicatalog.com/mm5/m...tegory_Code=RC

I don't have one but I'll be checking them out in Houston.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jansquiltn
    I don't have one but I'll be checking them out in Houston.
    I have them in my shop,,I like them....they really seem to cut better.

I have 1 of the rotary cutters and love it. Much easier on my wrist and arm than the other cutters I have used. I have not tried their rulers or mats so don't know about them. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by DeneK
    Do the cutters take special blades? I am also considering the Martelli rotary cutter and mat as a Christmas present request. I believe they are headquartered in Panama City (or near there). Not too far from me. I was going to see if they have a store there Or if it would be possible to go there to actually try out the items before I buy them. Any idea if that is possible?
    The cutters use the same blades as the other cutters.

I don't know if they have a store in Panama City but they have one in Pensacola, Fl and it is on W St - not too far off of Fairfield. It's a nice big store and they are really friendly over there. Lots of goodies and they have fabric too! They also have a website if you want to check out some of their items.

:lol: :lol:

I have the cutter, the mat and the ruler. I love them but there is a learning curve.

If you get a chance to see them in person, you should spend some time at their booth. They are very helpful and will spend the time it takes to help you.

I didn't realize that so many tried to position the cut line in the center of your body.

My friend has one and I use it when I am in CA at her house. I really like it because the blade is covered automatically when not cutting. Only drawback is that I have to switch to the other styles whne using the June Taylor slotted rulers. BTW she is left-handed and I am right-handed and we both use it equally well. Happy Quilting!

I bought the rotary cutter at the Houston Quilt festival in 2006 and the little thing that closes it broke, although I can still use it. I ordered 2 more because they are so easy to use and I don't like the conventional cutters any more. I also have the Martelli rotary cutting mat and ironing surface on the back, it is okay but I don't use it a lot.
    Michelle

I heard so much hype over this cutter, I bought one at the R2Ca show and when I took it home was highly disappointed. It seemed to be cheaply made and easily breakable. I listed it for sale and it was sold in 10 minutes, so people do want them and like them. But I'll stick to my Fiskers rotary cutter.

Interesting information! Maybe I should wait for the next show - but I think it isn't until July 2012 for me.

Do you have to use the non skid ruler with their mat only or is it non skid on any other mat?

Blog Entries
    I use the cutter and the mat but not the grey non skid ruler. I bought the whole shabang at the Long Beach quilt show 2 years ago. I am not consistant in using it though, I switch up my rotary cutters depending on the project.

I have the rotary cutter and like it for a lot of things but I would not pay the price for their mats or rulers.

I have the cutter and the set of block templates. Here's a link to what I purchased on HSN:

http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/martell...09400&ocm=sekw|best_sellers

I love the block and circle templates. They are very easy to use. I have not tried them with my other rotary cutters, just with the Martelli.

As to the cutter, I agree with what has been said above - there is a definite learning curve. You hold the Martelli cutter in a totally different way than other brands. Your fingers are in kind of a different configuration.. hard to explain. The little spring that closes the cutter was broken when I received mine, but they have plenty of videos on their website, incuding one that shows how to put the spring back on. So far, it has held up well. I don't own either their rulers or cutting mats, so I can't give any opinion on those.

Mine just shipeed from Amazon which by the say has the best price so will let you know when I get it. I have severe should and neck
    issues so I hope it helps. I think there is a tut somewhere on how to use them.

Blog Entries
    Scroll half-way down and you'll see how it is held.

http://piecefullystitching.com/2011/...rotary-cutter/

TO those of you who use the cutter - does it need their blades or can you use other ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
    TO those of you who use the cutter - does it need their blades or can you use other ones?

You can use other blades, however, they do not fit as well, Using Olfa or other blades will, after a while, cut the bold. I find that the Martelli blades are sharper and last MUCH longer than the Olfa blades. I go months (read dozens of quilts) before I have to change the blade. It is recommended to use their blades
    . Because of how long they last I find them a better buy in the long run!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    Have the cutter, love it. Also have the binding system. Love the little binding gun and clips. Could NOT get along with out them. Anyway, the cutter works on all my mats. Love, love love them Martelli's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast