Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Masculine blue fabric line...... >

Masculine blue fabric line......

Masculine blue fabric line......

Old 11-03-2014, 07:49 PM

Default Masculine blue fabric line......

I'm wanting to make a lap quilt for my DD's boyfriend. He likes blue but everything I'm coming across seems feminine to me. I'm thinking about possibly a chevron pattern with blues and white. Any suggestions for specific blue fabric lines (it doesn't have to be all blues but can be a mix) that might fit the bill???
Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 PM

Here are two quilts I made for men in blues, browns and grays. I used a mix of fabrics from many different lines, and none of them were feminine looking at all. They're all prints, no solids. I think you just have to look.
Attached Thumbnails mikes-block-buster.jpg   002.jpg  

Last edited by loisf; 11-03-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:09 PM

I really, really like both of those!! That's the look that I'm going for. I was just hoping someone would have a line name to suggest. My stash is very small and I'm not good at picturing what would go together. Do you happen to remember any of the fabric names to give me a direction to head?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:34 PM

Susann, I've only got scraps left without the selvages in most cases. I used a lot of fat quarters that didn't have manufacturer's info on them. Some of the names are Suede by P&B Textiles, a Robert Kaufman fabric by the designer Jennifer Sampson, Andover Fabrics by a designer whose name ends in SSLER, a Hoffman Fabric with the name of Bliss Ble.... I'm so sorry I can't be of more help. I actually went to five different shops to find the fabrics I wanted. Sometimes you really have to work at it. The staff of the quilt shops can be very helpful (if you have quilt shops near your home). I wish I could help you. I love to pick out fabrics.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:40 PM

http://www.stonehengefabrics.com/ I would consider several of these masculine, most blender would be. http://www.hartsfabric.com/cotton-pr...n-fabrics.html Several of the Japanese sashiko indigo fabrics.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 PM

The Parson Gray fabric lines seem quite masculine to me. Fabric.com and Missouri Star Quilt Co. came up when I googled 'Parson Gray fabrics'. I'm not sure how much blue you'll find, but worth a look.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by loisf View Post
Here are two quilts I made for men in blues, browns and grays. I used a mix of fabrics from many different lines, and none of them were feminine looking at all. They're all prints, no solids. I think you just have to look.
Your quilts are beautiful. Can you please post the names of the patterns?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:06 PM

Beautiful, beautiful quilts! I particularly like the darker one. These are the best masculine quilts I have seen yet. Are there patterns available?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:21 PM

Hi! These two quilts were made for young men. The black one was chevrons with a light brown strip in it and my brother in law loved it. The check quilt was made by my friend for her son. I am pretty sure she used fabrics from the Parson Gray fabric line.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 11-03-2014, 10:25 PM

Here are some patterns that I think are wonderfully masculine. They use jelly rolls, or 2.5 inch strips. Also, consider using batik fabric as many or not floral but look amazing in men's quilts.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg