Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
matching seams >

matching seams

matching seams

Old 09-12-2011, 11:14 PM
T.

I also have trouble with matching seams sometimes; I will try some of your suggestions as well.
One thing I have learned when I first started was to square up the blocks using the smallest and most "perfect" block as a guide. Of course the ultimate goal would be having all of the squares the same size that you originally intended. But when you can't; this will help keep all of your squares the same, and so you can match the seams with all the methods suggested here in this blog. THank you all for your suggestions.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:59 AM

I too was having a huge problem with seam matching. Then after reading the board, I realized my problem was the pressing. I wasn't pressing, I was ironing, and stretching my fabric. I have a tendency to be a little (?) careless about pressing seams. I have learned from you all how very important this is and now being much more careful with much better results.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 AM

Matching seams is why I now hand applique and love love love it. No seams to match.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by grumpy90650
one of the keys is the ironing of the seams in the 'right' direction, this will help with the nesting of the seams when you sew them...
and I would add---gently press seams "as sewn" to set the
stitches--then press to the side needed. another thing that
sometimes people do not notice is that sometimes you tend
to go narrower at the end of a seam (or wider, usually narrow).
so, your seam looks like 1/4",but it is off just where you will
match the SA. make sure when you press that you do not
have a minute "fold" on the seam.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:32 PM

I've been told over and over again - accuracy, Accuracy, ACCURACY! Comes with practice and much patience!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:11 PM
T.

One more thing, when you square up, measure based on your stitching lines (in the middle of the block, for example) so the shapes come out looking more balanced :)

Originally Posted by T.
I also have trouble with matching seams sometimes; I will try some of your suggestions as well.
One thing I have learned when I first started was to square up the blocks using the smallest and most "perfect" block as a guide. Of course the ultimate goal would be having all of the squares the same size that you originally intended. But when you can't; this will help keep all of your squares the same, and so you can match the seams with all the methods suggested here in this blog. THank you all for your suggestions.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:54 PM

press--don't iron. pressing means you put the iron down on the fabric and put weight on it. pick the iron up and put it down in the next place, press down on it. ironing you move the iron around on the fabric. pressing is different, as you can see. ironing stretches the fabric and moves the threads around. pressing keeps the threads where you want them--where they were when you cut the piece.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:39 PM

I pin at the intersection of the seams with pins that look like forks made for this purpose. The machine sews right over them. This seems to work for me. The pins are in joannes .
Old 09-30-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by tqualley
I seem to always have a hard time getting my seams to match. Even if i do exact 1/4 inch it still seems to be off after i press. Does anyone have any tips brand new quilter here,

Thanks
Use the "Search" function at the top of this page and
look for the tutorial by Izzy "Easy Intersections".
There's a download to click on at the bottom of her posting that takes you to a very good tutorial on it.
(Or you could use "tutorials" at the bottom of the screen and search for that one.)