Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
matching seams >

matching seams

matching seams

Old 09-12-2011, 06:42 AM

Here is what I have learned: Start with fabric that is wrinkle free. Measure accurately. ALWAYS use the same ruler for the entire project. Use the lines on your ruler, not on the cutting board. I only use the lines on my cutting board to line up the folded edge of the fabric on. Cut accurately. Use what ever anti-slip measure you have to to keep your ruler from sliding as you cut. Before you start sewing, use a ruler to find the 1/4" on your machine. All machines are different, most 1/4" feet are different. You have to find YOUR 1'4" and do whatever it takes to mark it or use some sort of guide so that every piece of fabric goes under the needle the same way. This is how I was taught and it goes a long way in insuring consistancy and ease in matching seams. Good luck in your quest, keep at it and you'll get there!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:51 AM

If you are making a quilt with various blocks, after the blocks are sewn, I generally square up each block so they are exactly the same size. Use a firm ironing board, too soft of pressing pad will distort the fabric. If you want to control fabric, it is best to starch and iron dry. Use a good starch like Niagra, (one that doesn't flake). Then when I sew my blocks together, I match the seams first. I stitch about five stitches across each seam I wish to match then check to see if I am happy with them. Once I am satisfied, I stitch the entire length easing and stretching if necessary so that the between the already sewn seams line up correctly. It also does help to use a walking foot to prevent the top fabric from schooching. Good luck with your venture.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:52 AM

I press seams open to get very accurate matches (like for 8-pointed stars).
Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 AM

For accurate cutting be sure to use the same ruler brand throughout the process. Different brands can differ in measurement a tiny bit and make a difference in your precision.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:50 AM

Be sure you PRESS (an up and down motion) rather than IRON ( a back and forth motion). Pressing will flatten and set the seams properly, but ironing could pull them out of shape and might be the cause of the not matcing problem.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 AM

well, for sure I pin pin and pin. :) Also feel for the seems. Don't like to pull and stretch my material, whew without my pins I would really pull it out of shape. I always pin the seams first then ease in, holding with PINS hahaha it works for me :) :)
Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 AM

Irma wrote:

When I iron my seems I iron one row to the left then the 2nd row to the right, repeat the process until you're to the end. When matching the seems the seems will butt up to each other thus matching the seems. After I match the seems I pin them and then pin the rest of the row. Hope this helps.

Penny:
Yes, this is the way I do it, too. I also found thse wonderful little pins for seams that I use instead of regular pins on many things. They are made by Clover...don't know what they are called but here is a photo I just took:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-255466.jpe  
Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 AM

These pins come in a little blue plastic see thru box. I was in a little quilt shop in TX and saw the owner using them....she loved them, I bought one box, and have since bought 5 boxes. After you have presses and butted the seams together slide these on. They hold both sides of the seam. They are thin enough to very carefully go over with your machine.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:53 AM

After piecing do your press the seam before you open and press again? It helps when piecing.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:58 AM

It can be very difficult to get the seams matched perfectly. The above suggestions are great ones and I hope they hel you. I still have trouble myself sometimes!