Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Matching seams >

Matching seams

Matching seams

Old 02-16-2014, 05:55 AM

Default Matching seams

I am trying to match the seams in a lone star. Cut diamonds in stripes of 4 diamonds now trying to join the seam down all four.
I have pinned carefully a 1/4 inch away from the edge in seam centre on both sides. And then machined 1/4 inch seam making sure I go through the pin holes as I remove them . Why aren't the seams matching on the front.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:38 AM

I take a pin and put it straight through the matching point perpendicular on both fabrics and then place pins closely on either side of this pin. Remove the center pin and when you are sewing your 1/4 inch seam make certain you hit the matching point exactly. That may be what you are describing but I wasn't sure. I sew over my pins. I know this isn't recommended, but I slow way down and haven't had any problems.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

It has been a long time since I did a Lone Star. I found what I did was mark with pencil the 1/4 inch seam (stitching line) just where the diagonail sitiching line is on both sides of all the sections. I then stick a pin straight down through both Xs (the line and the stitiching interesect). With the pin still stright vertically, come in gently with a pin to secure the fabric in the correct alignment. I then would baste the seam with 3.5 stitch seam. Check and make any micro adjustment. Good Luck !! Hope this helps. Forgot I had this UFO !!
Attached Thumbnails lone-star-section.jpg  
Old 02-16-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
I take a pin and put it straight through the matching point perpendicular on both fabrics and then place pins closely on either side of this pin. Remove the center pin and when you are sewing your 1/4 inch seam make certain you hit the matching point exactly. That may be what you are describing but I wasn't sure. I sew over my pins. I know this isn't recommended, but I slow way down and haven't had any problems.
If you use the Clover Patchwork Pins Fine - and have a real small stitch length and go so slow I sew over mine all the time. They are fine enough they just bend the pin and don't hurt the needle if you happen to hit one but I'd say I miss the pins 99% of the time.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:56 AM

Thank you one and all. That is exactly how I did it. My friend also tried her way which was really the same . We all put pins in slightly different ways.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 AM

[QUOT=lfletcher;6577983]I take a pin and put it straight through the matching point perpendicular on both fabrics and then place pins closely on either side of this pin. Remove the center pin and when you are sewing your 1/4 inch seam make certain you hit the matching point exactly. That may be what you are describing but I wasn't sure. I sew over my pins. I know this isn't recommended, but I slow way down and haven't had any problems.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I do as well including sewing over the pins! I usually start matching the seams in the center of the strip and let the ends fall where they may. STARCH! You are working with all bias edges as well.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
I have found this to be the best way to get a perfect match. Try it out. Works great.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

I don't use pins to match seams anymore. I use Wonder clips. They hold the seam tight and don't have to be removed when sewing. If it is a tricky match I glue baste it exactly where I want it then sew. I use pins as a last resort.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:44 AM

I also use Wonder clips... I rarely pin anymore. I find that these don't allow slippage - even that 1/16th of an inch makes a huge difference (it translates to 1/8" on the right side!).
Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 AM

A bit of Elmer's glue stick at the seam will allow you to shift the fabric until it is where you want it. Let it dry, it dries in a short time, then stitch. You can do the entire row before you sew. The glue washes out.