Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Material needed >

Material needed

Material needed

Old 10-31-2011, 02:57 AM
Banned

Don't forget that the student needs some of the backin fabric for borders......this fact appears to be ignored in the comments. Borders needed - backing can be changed.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:36 AM
Banned

I have not read threw all the post, but maybe the mother can't afford that amount, so instead of saying she needs help with costs, she does it this way, so it would be less embarresing for her.
Just a thought.
GOD bless.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:53 AM

I know you hate to disappoint the child because of the mom, but sometimes you need to. This is a life lesson for the parent.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Plumtree
Thank you again to all the great responses. I do want to say that it shouldnt' be a money issue, I included in my syllabus taht if money was ever an issue to email me privately and we would come up with fabric for anyone that truly wanted to learn to quilt. I think maybe she was just in a bit of shock at everything and having others whisper in your ear can be swaying. I am just glad that my math was right. I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend.

Tammy
I commend you for thinking of the money issue up front. But, even with that, many people have a hard time being honest about their money situation and react the way she did. If this is a possiblity, suggesting alternative backings such as sheets(use low thread count sheets) could ease her fears of too much money being spent.
It's wonderful that you are teaching the young ones to quilt. :-)
Old 10-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned

We will be waiting to know how you handled the situation
Old 10-31-2011, 10:18 AM

I met her today and after hearing the explaination for cutting it in half to make it wider not long she understood why that amount was needed. I also brought a king size quilt with me so that I could show her exactly how big that is.

I did explain to her that next time she had questions she should talk to me first rather than get opinons from others that might not have the same vision as I do because assumptions are the mother of all things bad.

Thank you all so much for keeping my backbone strong, its good to know my friends have my back. :)

I will post pictures of their finished masterpieces some time in Dec. I really am enjoying teaching the girls, they get so excited to see their accomplisments.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:33 PM

Hi, I'm cutting this Mom a break thinking perhaps she just can't afford it. I would ask her to get the fabric for the border and suggest she get the backing fabric at a later date. I would suggest using a solid as that can easily be purchased at a later date. Also suggest pieced border using some of the leftover pieces from the top or cotton fabric pieces from outgrown clothing would work if it all cotton. This would not only look really good but also cut down on the cost. I would present these as options in a kind way. The most important thing is the child has some fun with this and he or she probably already heard it's wasting money. Making quilts can be done spending a whole lot on fabric and also done using scraps.
However, your calculations do sound pretty accurate.