Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Math question and website review >

Math question and website review

Math question and website review

Old 02-10-2021, 11:46 AM

Default Math question and website review

Hi folks. We are in need of a new bedspread. Yes, I know - make a quilt, lol! But what I truly want is a Mariner's compass quilt and I've yet to see a pattern that comes close to what I have in my head. So, short term I'm planning to make a quilted reversible, 2 color bedspread.

I'm planning on using 108" wide fabric from Marshalls Dry Goods. Ideally I would like to use the same fabrics to bind but reverse the binding but to do that I think I would need 3.75 yards of each fabric. My quilters bible says I need 1 1/8 yds of fabric for a double fold binding of 2.5" for 400-440" worth of binding. 108 x 4 = 432 inches of binding fabric. I usually cut my binding strips at 2.25 vs 2.5. But if I'm going to do the 2 color binding I think I'd cut each at 1.50" so when sewn together I'd have 2.25"??? Am I thinking that through correctly?? Both cutting width as well as yardage requirement (.75 yds extra of the fabrics just for binding).

Also, has anyone purchased from thecottoncupboard.com?? I want to use Quilter's Dream Deluxe batting for this project and their price is about $10 less than anyone else for a king size batt. I usually use W&N but just finished up the roll I've had for years and wanted to give the QD a whirl and thought this would be a nice way to figure out how much I like it compared to the W&N.

Any comments/opinions on either or both of these questions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kim

Old 02-10-2021, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

A double sided binding is a great addition to a quilt. It takes some fussing to get the seam to line up right on the edge of the quilt. The extra work is well worth it when you see the results.

My notes are to start with a 1" strip for the fabric you want against the top of the quilt, and then a 2" for against the quilt back, using a 1/4" seam. However, those measurements can change according to the thickness of the batting and fabrics, even the thread! Also, your seam allowances for the strips and when you are sewing on the binding can dictate a change.

It's best to make a prototype to check the widths of those strips. Be sure to use the same fabrics etc. as the quilt. Otherwise, it might sit differently on the quilt edge when you go to that step.

The difference to your calculations .... you calculated 1/2 the binding adding the seam for the seam. However, remember, 1/2 the binding gets hidden inside the binding. Thus, the 1" and 2" strips.

Hope this helps.
You can do it! and will be SO pleased with your results!

Go for it!