Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This may be a dumb question..... >

This may be a dumb question.....

This may be a dumb question.....

Old 06-07-2015, 06:58 AM

Interesting discussion. I have one (it's an extra) for my Bernina and I do use it. I took a class on how it works and use it quite a bit. Like anything else though, it does take some practice to get comfortable with it. I feel lucky to have it
Old 06-07-2015, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

First thing is to be able to create the same stitch length as the sewing machine at a particular speed. I would suggest that your friend uses stencils to follow a line first and not try to stipple. Just what happened with me when learning FMQ.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

If your friend has the manual it should state in there, if there is one.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by coffeecozy View Post

I also have one of these for my Sapphire 875Q. The stitching window is small ..... I've used it for small items. If you decide to get the Cruise-Control, shop around for the lowest price!

What I really want is an Innova Longarm!

Now to win the lottery!
Old 06-07-2015, 05:22 PM

I know they used to make them for domestic machines, don't know if they still do or not. Questions aren't dumb unless you know the answer! Don't ever feel bad for asking a question
Old 06-07-2015, 06:57 PM
RST

For those that dislike the noise of the Bernina BSR -- you can mute it quite easily. Or just slow down to recommended speed.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:07 PM

Yes bernina has them and so does babylock/brother. She needs to try one out though as they are not necessarily what you think. The more and more I play with mine, the more I find it easier to not have it on especially if you are still in the learning process. Tell her to draw on paper, believe me it has helped me tremendously as does practice. People think it will make them better but the practice and getting the feel of regulating your own speed is what really helps in the long run. Stitch regulators speed up and slow down with movement problem if you speed up or slow down too fast it causes delay in the regulator which ends up looking like choppy stitching so even with that it is still better to get regulating a consistent speed. Honestly at this point I am not even sure I am going to keep my regulator. I might just sell it to someone who wants to have one for cheaper. They are not cheap either
Old 06-07-2015, 08:09 PM

You can buy a stitch regulator for some domestic machines that don't come with them built in. I had one on mu Juki 98 that worked well and someone on one of the Janome forums I belong to installed one on her 9700.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:11 AM

Bernina has stitch regulators but I think the best regulator is the person sewing the quilt. A lot of practice will get you there. It suddenly clicks. I was always afraid to wreck my tops until a friend asked me to help her quilt hundreds of charity quilts. She knew what she was doing because my quilting is reasonable now. We can always improve and I don't think that will happen if you rely on the limited technology too much.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:00 AM

I got a stitch regulator with my Bernina 440 about 10 years ago. I used it right away on a king sized quilt and loved it. I'm more used to it now and do a better job, but I was satisfied with the first one. Today I'm quilting with it on a large queen. I'm writing words around the perimeter of each square, and wondering if I can learn to write words upside down. I already know how to write them backwards. We did that in high school.