Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Maybe I am mistaken! >

Maybe I am mistaken!

Maybe I am mistaken!

Old 09-15-2011, 06:59 AM

To answer your question, No, people DON"T realize how much time it takes to make a quilt. Few non-quilter families have any idea what's involved in finishing a quilt. All they see is pretty blanket that is way to expensive, when compared with the $20. China crap they pick up at Walmart.
So sad.....
Old 09-15-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
OMG, my son & his gf has decided to tied the knot in 6 weeks. 6 Weeks to help plan a wedding and all I get from people is "Are you making them a quilt?". They are surprised when I say "no"! No, I am not, I don't have time to whip up a King size quilt in 6 weeks, find something to wear, line up the cake and help plan the wedding and work!!!Luckily, they are trying to keep it fairly simple and they did asked for some of my help. Do people not realize how much time it takes to put together a quilt and a wedding. I just made her a quilt for her birthday in July! I wish I could make one, but gee. Ok, I just had to get it out there, I know people mean well.
you know, just because we quilt doesn't mean that that is our job for every thing that comes around. You are the mother of the groom for Pete's sake. :shock: How many other mothers of the groom made a quilt while trying to plan a wedding in 6 weeks?
that expectation was not yours, so don't take it on if you don't want to. it is not required of you. you can be the mother of the groom like others were. :-D
Old 09-15-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I told my daughters that they were not getting "wedding" quilts. I paid for the wedding, that was their gift. I am finally started on the first girl to get married's quilt. They just celebrated their 4th anniversary. Maybe they will get it for their 5th!!! There is just way, way too much stuff to do to get ready for a wedding. Put it off and make it later!!!! All three of my girls are married now, all within 3 years 3 months. I told them that I will make the quilts in the order that they got married, not age order. The last married, the youngest (daughter, I have a younger son, not married), is the one pushing me to get the quilts done cause she doesn't want to wait 5 years for hers!! LOL!!!!
I agree. I'm still working on my DD & DSIL's quilt and they've been married for two and one half years. No need to stress yourself out. Enjoy the preparations and wedding!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 AM

You're going to be very busy for the next 6 weeks. Enjoy the wedding and the rest you'll get afterwards. Just a thought though...why not provide pens and strips of fabric ironed to freezer paper and leave them on the tables for the guests to put sentiments on? It wouldn't take a lot of time if you ironed a large piece and then cut it in strips, and they'd be great in a 1st anniversary quilt.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by mzmama
You can make them one for their first anniversary...
Try your best to take a deep breath. It is hard to wear so many hats. People will understand you can only do so much.
My thoughts exactly.

Have fun. Enjoy the wedding. And if you want to gift them a quilt, do it for their anniversary.

Cheers, K
Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 AM

I say wait until you have ME time. You had no idea about the wedding and 6 weeks is not much time. Relax your mother of the groom. Plenty time to make them a quilt
Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 AM

My DD did the same, but I had worked on a quilt, wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, they got married late April, and I got the quilt completed in time for christmas that year. It was a mystery quilt, and 3" half triangle squares. But it was done for Christmas.
They didn't ask for help because he was the only son, and the mom did everything, so I basically showed up. I was relaxed and decided not to be worried about how much I didn't do. They were told to ask and I would of been more than happy to assist.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 AM

How about asking the guests to sign squares to be incorparated in a quilt ready for their first annivessary if you used a nutral shade you could add borders in colours of there choice . Just a thought .
Old 09-15-2011, 10:06 AM
QM
Power Poster

You want a marriage quilt to be special. Take the time.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:31 AM

People don't think about what it takes for either of those tasks. IF a quilt is something you really want to do give them a card to be redeemed for a quilt out of colors and a pattern they really like that they will get later like on their 50th wedding ann. Ha!