Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Maybe someone can identify this sewing item..vintage

It's an old sewing kit for the soldiers. Either WWI or WWII. Probably purchased at the PX or issued. Was there a needle in the kit as well? The "tin" was to keep the contents dry so you could repair tears, etc., out in the field or on maneuvers. You have a real piece of memorabilia there! You could always check with the Smithsonian. :-)

You have some very good information here on what you have. I have a very small collection of Etui or small sewing kits. I treasure them as they are hard to find and unusual. You can find more information in the book Sewing Tools and Trinkets by Helen Lester Thompson published by Collector Books, Paducah, Kentucky. Enjoy your little treasure.

very cool!!!
    Quilting is my source of sanity!!!

Cute--even the thimble is included!

Blog Entries
    Well I have found out for sure this was a WWl item, given to service men sometimes by the Red Cross or other organizations...so my curiousity is cured...glad I have it in my collection...

Quote Originally Posted by sak658 View Post
    Well I have found out for sure this was a WWl item, given to service men sometimes by the Red Cross or other organizations...so my curiousity is cured...glad I have it in my collection...
    Attached is a picture from page 204 of Estelle Zalkin's book "Zalkin's Handbook of Thimbles and Sewing Implements". The center kit looks to be just like yours. Here is the caption for the photo: Left, Thimble topped silver sewing kits. Patented by Whiting and Co., Providence, RI 1912; Center, the same patented kit made of steel and painted olive drab. Used as the official sewing kit for the military during the first World War; Right, The same patented kit made of steel and painted forest free. Used as the official Girl Scout camping mending kit, circa 1920.

[FONT='Lucida Grande', serif]Name:  MVC-006F.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  42.0 KB

[/FONT]

It looks like shell art made by the soldiers out of spent bullet cases. WW11 sounds right but they were also made in WW1.
    GIs made them for the Sweethearts and Moms back home. Some were amazingly ornate. They also made a lot of lamps, ashtrays, etc.
    http://lyndaswhoknew.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2